Change of plans.. I'm going Q6600 and possibly overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechtech3000

In Runtime
Hey guys I have decided that I am going to use the Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail and the Newegg.com - ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard - Retail

To house these 2 beasts I would like to use Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

My question is: How much can I overclock this CPU if any on this mobo and in this case?

Am I going way overboard on the Motherboard and should I just go with a much lesser Asus board and not overclock it?

Basically I'm trying to build a system that will be good for 5 years.

Future proof is my key =)

Thanks!

If you want future proof, you need to get a p35 based board. This will allow you to upgrade to the newer 45nm cpu's in the future. The gigabyte p35-ds3r seems to be the board of choice around here. I just rebuilt my system last night using that board and a q6600, havent bothered overclocking yet as i still need to get a better heatsink.

Since you are willing to pay that much for a motherboard, I strongly suggest the ASUS P5K Deluxe.

It is probably the best motherboard to overclock the quad core.

The Striker Extreme from reviews, doesn't show a significant performance boost, over other high end motherboards. It's just a motherboard, glorified with big chunks of copper and features.

The P5K Deluxe, is cheaper, futureproof, and a really good overclocker.

Mechtech3000 said:
Also is the only diff between the P5K3 and the P5K the fact that the P5K3 uses DDR3?

Yes, I believe so.

If you do go for the p5k get the deluxe, i had the vanilla and it just doesnt have all the features you really need compared to some other boards. I returned it for my gigabyte board. Also in relation to the 680i(stryker board) thats the older chipset and i'm guessing it doesnt support 1333 fsb which most of the newer cpus are moving to, along with not supporting the 45nm cpus. p35>680i

I believe ASUS are going to release BIOS revisions, for the 680i, to support the 1333FSB, and 45nm processors. But forget the 680i...P35 FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom