CD/DVD Drives and for Gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
I heard that it is good to get a good CD/DVD BURNER, but also to get a separate CD/DVD READER just to play games. I heard it performs better and extends the the life of the CD/DVD BURNER.

Or is that BS? Cuz I heard this few years ago, maybe the things got better and all I need is a good CD/DVD burner.

I did hear a while ago that playing Music CD's in your CD/DVD rom drive will cut down on its life span (I guess they weren't made for it?). But I would think running a game from the drive wouldn't hurt it (since it usually loads lvls one at a time, not continually from the cd/dvd. BTW, most games new games don't require the CD/DVD to read from, the are usually fully loaded on hard-drive, unless your are playing some older ones.

I did hear a while ago that playing Music CD's in your CD/DVD rom drive will cut down on its life span (I guess they weren't made for it?). But I would think running a game from the drive wouldn't hurt it (since it usually loads lvls one at a time, not continually from the cd/dvd. BTW, most games new games don't require the CD/DVD to read from, the are usually fully loaded on hard-drive, unless your are playing some older ones.

what? new games dont need the CD? i think ur referring to cracks or patches....

I thought older games didn't require cd's while newer ones did require them. Makes more sense to me... why would they not require the cd? People would just install games on their friend's comp for free...

I thought older games didn't require cd's while newer ones did require them. Makes more sense to me... why would they not require the cd? People would just install games on their friend's comp for free...

Requiring a CD to play doesn't really mean that it is reading any data from the CD rom drive. Guess I'm jst referencing the games I play, which get verification from online registration. Reading from the CD-drive would be too slow for loads. If a game needs a CD to play, its just for verification of the legal copy.

Yeah, I know it's for verification cuz once you take the cd's out while playing games it gives an error and exits.

But it's NOT when the cd/dvd drive plays continuously that decreases the lifespan, it's when it starts, stops, starts, stops, starts, and so forth. If you think about it, that is more wear and tear than just continuously playing a cd. And from my experience, that's what games do, they start/stop all the time before you enter the game, start a new level, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom