Case fan help

stephen789

Beta member
I am not building a pc but a gaming box to house my old gaming consoles like NES SNES PS2 and xbox etc. I was going to install three or four fans but they would need to be connected to a power bar or some other power source. I would also like a controller to be able to turn the fans on and off when not in use. I was wondering what kind of arrangements can you have to connect all the fans together and run from a power bar.

I found a transformer/power source for something I wasn't using any longer. Just have to make sure it is 12v as a lot of items use various voltage. I then cut off the adapter that went into the device and used crimped wire connectors to hook it up to 3 pc case fans and then mounted them in the back of the cabinet with my home theater system.

If you are using a home theater receiver, they usually have an outlet on the back that only powers on when the receiver is on. I plugged mine into that so that when the receiver is on the fans come one and when the receiver is off the fans shut off.

Alternatively, plug everything into a power strip/surge protector to power on/off the consoles and fan at one time (not a bad idea anyway since apparently the game consoles use a fair bit of power even when they are "off").

Generic picture of a power adapter/transformer: just make sure you find a 12v one. I suppose you could also make sure the amps woudl be rated for your fans, but they usually don't draw uch power.
westell-mpbs-12020000-12v-2a-ac-dc-router-power-adapter-lay139u.jpg

Back
Top Bottom