Case Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
I have all the other pieces for my new build picked out but im having a really hard time choosing a case. I want the case to have good cable management, be able to fit a GTX 480 and have good airflow. The cases that I have found so far are the:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - Corsair Obsidian Series 700D CC700D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I really like everything about the corsair except for the price and the fact that it is huge (at least as it seems to me). I mean I measured my desk and it seems it will barely fit under it.

Anyone have any case suggestions (I know this is very subjective) that would seem to fit my criteria?

Thanks

hey,

i just got the HAF X ( basically a HAF 932 hybrid ). and i kinda wish i went with the Obsidian 800D.

so i recommend that case, its an amazing case, the wire manament is amazing. if you are considering the obsidian series cases, i recommend the 800D

Sean, what makes you say that? I personally dislike the slab of aluminum appearance of the corsair although I do really like the way that the cable management is setup and the fact that it has separate "heat zones."

I was just about to go with the 932 for the looks alone (not the right reason but meh). Was there a glaring fault with the haf x? or was it just difficult to put together?

hey,

i just got the HAF X ( basically a HAF 932 hybrid ). and i kinda wish i went with the Obsidian 800D.

so i recommend that case, its an amazing case, the wire manament is amazing. if you are considering the obsidian series cases, i recommend the 800D

completely agree. The obsidian really has options for anything you want or may want in the future. There are a few things you need to decide before you pick one tho:

1) Sex Appeal (lol)- do you want something professional or gamer looking?
2) I would say price, but you're not making a new build so your budget is flexible...
3) What will you have inside? I can say hand down that the Corsair case is better for watercooling, at least internally. If you want to stick with fans, then I think the HAF is better.

space is not a problem in either, just the fittings for different setups/arrays/drive bay crap. I chose the Corsair over the coolermaster, even though my previous 3 cases were coolermasters. They make great cases, but I got tired of the gaming look.

If you really are on a tight budget, here is a very close alternative to an obsidian:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I have the HAF 932, and while I thought it looked cool for the first few weeks, I began to notice how tacky the big plastic front is :p It's also annoying to dust the front as the mesh there gets clogged up with dust, I have to dust each indent in the plastic so the air can get in the intake.
I love it for everything else, though :D

Sean, what makes you say that? I personally dislike the slab of aluminum appearance of the corsair although I do really like the way that the cable management is setup and the fact that it has separate "heat zones."

I was just about to go with the 932 for the looks alone (not the right reason but meh). Was there a glaring fault with the haf x? or was it just difficult to put together?

sorry my responce took so long, and i will ahve to say now forgive me for my bad typing and wording, its $4:50AM and i havnt slept for almost 30 houts.. idk why im awake... i have a problem...

but with that said, ontyo your question

The HAF X is an awesome case no doubt about it! it absolutly massive, imagine a huge case, then imagine a bigger case, then imagine the HAF X dwarfing that case. you really cant grasp how big it is untill you see how it barley fits under your desk. with the wheels on its 24" tall!

i am a little dissapointed with the air flow of the supposed High Air Flow branding. it has several large fans but they dont move an impresive amount of air. my HAF X has 12 fans in it, which makes it pretty good, but the 4 fans it comes with arent impressive. you will need more fans.

the side window is awesome, and i really like a lot more than the window on the HAF 932

my ONLY gripe with this case is how you mount 120mm fans and a radiator in the top, the brackets they use are not how i would have desigened and it kinda seems like they just through something together... i cant explain it, you would just have to see it in person to udnerstand what i am talkinmg about. but if you arent going to be using this case for water cooling, then this isant a problem for you.

the case is extremely heavy, 38 pounds EMPTY, id bet my computer weighs about 55 - 60 pounds! pretty crazy. the 800D weighs more though.

the wire manament and spacve behind the mother board trey are exceptional, i cant imagine a case having better wire manament, except maybe the 800D

really, if you are considering either one of these cases, you cant go wrong. but the HAF X can support XL ATX mother boards ( someone correct me because i know thats now what its called ), and i dont belive the 800D does. but unless you are looking to put 4 massive video cards in this case, that shouldnt be a considering factor. really it just comes down to what look you prefer, the sleek sexy look of the 800D or the barrel of a M1A2 Abrams take pointed right at you military look of the HAF X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom