Case air flow. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Case air flow.

How does a case such as this one have enough airflow to sustain any sort of high end rig?

Or is that adequate and im just reading too much into it....
(Just to clarify, its just the fan at the front and back.)

Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Case air flow.

I'm not an expert on the subject but from the research I have done (I'm building an expensive rig and looking for a high end case) Lian-Li makes some amazing cases. They have an amazing build quality. What model is that?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

Lol, the issue is more that recently there has been an inlux into the industry of HIGH airflow cases with multiple 120mm fans, huge side and top mounted etc... the more "traditional" single and dual fans move air just fine, as long as that air is coming in and going out the temp will be relatively managed. We've just become so accustomed to these newer cases with massive airflow that the more traditional rigs are becoming the abnormal. Unless you're looking to push a big OC these fans are just fine.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

A big part of it is how you have your components setup. If you've got a lot of HDD's right in front of that fan then you're screwed.. No chance you'll get some good temps or air flow out of it. But one thing to take into account is the type of fans they use, if they use high CFM fans then that's part of it. If you took a 20 dollar rosewill case off the egg, and put in all scythe s-flex fans, you've got yourself a nice case for air flow.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The aerodynamics of the case itself can provide for negative/positive cooling.

You dont need 6 fans to have a cool rig...it can be done with just two.

Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx

Old 04-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hey, my $20 rosewill case moves air great!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

But not nearly as well as any Lian-Li case would.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Sometimes more fans isnt always better anyway. Sometimes if there are too many intake and exhast fans the cooler air can be sucked right away from the cpu, while the warmer air isnt adequately extracted. Its not as simple as some people think it is. So with just one intake, and one exhast there is less chance there will be conflicts. This has been proven in some tests where the 1 in, 1 out does better than cases with 5 or 6 fans.

With that case you can still install internal fans which will direct the flow of air into and out of the cpu cooler. Just think about how you can create a good flow of air.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Okay i see, well what about this case then?

(Mid Case)

Would you say it would be adequate to cool GTX260's in SLI and an i7? (The case has one 140mm front intake, one 120mm side intake, one 120mm back exhaust and one 140mm top exhaust).

Sounds pretty even so the flow should be okay?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

why not go for the sniper? a little bit bigger, a little cooler, better cable management.. or if you want a full tower... I love working inside my HAF vs. my antec 900..

Closed Thread