Car-puter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you choosing a mac mini seems very perverse for a computer enthusiast??? Mini-itx (depending what performance you want) would be cheaper and more adaptable then the mac mini by a long way. The parts for a mini-itx system are also really easy to find. Tip "don't use mini-itx.com" for anything but research there case and parts are outrageously expensive.

With the mac mini you wouldn't get functions like;

3g adapter (mobile internet)
Cardbus (wireless card or above 3g adapter)
bluetooth
GPS
The ability to use an inbuilt handsfree phone system
OBDII Link for Engine information
reverse cameras
Windscreen projected display
tv tuner

Heres some useful links
Kustom PC's
KustomPCs.co.uk

Thanks, I'll be sure to check those out!

The reason I plan to go with a mac mini:

Although all those listed features are VERY nice, and I would LOVE to have in a carputer (trust me, I've always been a fan of windscreen projected display. A HUD would KICK ***!), the mac mini is small enough that I don't have to do much work (Fiberglass is REALLY hard to work with) to get it in the car. One of my friends owns a mac mini, and took it to a lan party, and we were driving in my brothers car (I don't have an Altima just yet, but my older brothers both do). The mac mini fit PERFECTLY in the small storage cubby underneath the radio.

EDIT:

Love the website! Although it seems to be based in the UK, it's also very helpful. If I decide against the Mac Mini (although it fits perfectly, HUD and GPS are very tempting), I'll be sure to check out Kustom PC's ! :)

I really want to do this to my car, but i'm afraid to tear out the dash. I swear these new cars are so freaking hard to work on.

Unfortunately it's best to do this if you have some extra cash laying around. :)

I didn't want to tear apart the dashboard either, hence why I'm going with a mac mini. However, even though the carputer setup is AWESOME, I'd rather not put it in a car where it might get damaged / stolen. The Altima is more of a project car that I'm about to buy off my uncle's Nissan dealership.

I also have a 2004 ford Expedition (originally my mom's, but it's a great car for hauling **** around. People climb all around it, and get in and out constantly, and **** is still hauled in it -- i'd rather NOT put a fancy computer in it), and a 1975 VW Beetle. The Beetle is in PERFECT condition, and almost every part is original. (asides from 21st century touches like a new sound system, and a molded center console, the only new parts in the car were put in because they NEEDED to be replaced, such as a few fuses, and some worn down engine parts). The radio has been stolen out of the VW countless times, and I'd rather not put in a couple thousand dollars worth of computers in a car that I only drive over the summer. :p

So, even if I completely f*** up this Altima, at least I'm not left without a car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom