Can't install XP - New Build Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Can't install XP - New Build Problem

Hello All:
I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. I just finished my first build and am encountering a problem when I try to install windows XP w/ SP2.

MoBo: Asus P5B (Updated to version 1902)
CPU: Q6700
Video Card: EN8800GT
RAM: 4GB Corsair (2 sticks)

I am trying to boot from CD and everything gets detected, but when I get to the screen where it says:

Welcome to Setup

* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
* To repair a Windows XP installation using
Recovery Console, press R
* To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3

==> ENTER....

Then the system restarts and tries to reload everything and returns to the same screen. I hit enter again, and it goes back to square one.

I have already tried booting from the HDD but to no avail and have try every other boot seting that I know. Could someone please lend me a hand on this one?

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Can't install XP - New Build Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileCitizen View Post
Hello All:
I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. I just finished my first build and am encountering a problem when I try to install windows XP w/ SP2.

I am trying to boot from CD and everything gets detected, but when I get to the screen where it says:

Welcome to Setup

==> ENTER....

Then the system restarts and tries to reload everything and returns to the same screen. I hit enter again, and it goes back to square one.

I have already tried booting from the HDD but to no avail and have try every other boot seting that I know. Could someone please lend me a hand on this one?

Thanks!
When it says "Please press any key to boot from CD", dont press anything. I've loaded Windows XP on my computer today and everytime it restarts it reads the CD again but just let it run after the first time.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

lol yeah make sure you dont have the cd inserted and it wont even ask that. it automatically boots to a bootable cd if one is inserted, so leave it out or dont press any key like guitarplyrstevo said

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If I leave the CD out nothing happens. I looked again at my connections and I put my HDD on a slave SATA instead of a master.... oops... first build experiance...my fault...

Thanks SO MUCh for the quick response! If I have anyother issue I will be sure to post!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Ahh, so it was an IDE hard drive. That information may have helped us out a bit

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Cool Re: Can't install XP - New Build Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileCitizen View Post
Hello All:

Welcome to Setup

==> ENTER....

Thanks!
It should search for pevious versions of windows and then post the partition information for the drive, you choose a partition and then format the dirve quick or not or keep the file system intact. The fact that it is rebooting is telling me that your HD is not recognized and may be icorrectly set up. Does the HD show up in the Bios? You set your first boot device as cd/dvd (which ever you have) and HD as the second drive. Once all the files are copied the system will auto reboot and then you do nothing and it shold load the OS from the HD. Sounds to me like you HD is not responding. If it is IDE use the Cable Select jumper. If SATA, go to the boot priority section of the Bios and select the appropriate drive if you have more than one.

Closed Thread