Can't figure out which graphics card to get - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,363
Default Re: Can't figure out which graphics card to get

nVidia has SLI but you have to make sure your motherboard is compatible. Intel's chipsets usually support both CrossFire and SLI, but AMD's chipsets are CrossFire only. To run SLI on an AMD processor you need a motherboard with an nVidia chipset (these are SLI only, they do not have CrossFire support).

As far as the HD5830 goes, Cypress is the high-end ATi chipset used in the 58xx cards. It is the processor behind the 5830, 5850, and 5870 as well as the 5970 (which has 2 Cypress chips). The Juniper is the next highest which powers the 57xx cards. Most manufacturers make chipsets for product lines and not individual products because of quality control issues in the manufacturing process. If only 70% of the Cypress chips that come off the manufacturing line have all 1600 shader processors working, normally they would have to discard the other 30%. However, they have devised lower product line models to use these "defective" chips. They simply use a hardware mask to disable the defective shaders and sell it as a lower model. This means that a 5830 has the exact same chip that the 5870 has only with some parts disabled. In some cases you may be able to "unlock" these extra units with a BIOS modification or other hack and make your 5830 into a 5870. To be fair, this also applies to nVidia GPU's as they do much the same thing with their product lines.
__________________

__________________

CalcProgrammer1 is offline  
Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Default Re: Can't figure out which graphics card to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
nVidia has SLI but you have to make sure your motherboard is compatible. Intel's chipsets usually support both CrossFire and SLI, but AMD's chipsets are CrossFire only. To run SLI on an AMD processor you need a motherboard with an nVidia chipset (these are SLI only, they do not have CrossFire support).

As far as the HD5830 goes, Cypress is the high-end ATi chipset used in the 58xx cards. It is the processor behind the 5830, 5850, and 5870 as well as the 5970 (which has 2 Cypress chips). The Juniper is the next highest which powers the 57xx cards. Most manufacturers make chipsets for product lines and not individual products because of quality control issues in the manufacturing process. If only 70% of the Cypress chips that come off the manufacturing line have all 1600 shader processors working, normally they would have to discard the other 30%. However, they have devised lower product line models to use these "defective" chips. They simply use a hardware mask to disable the defective shaders and sell it as a lower model. This means that a 5830 has the exact same chip that the 5870 has only with some parts disabled. In some cases you may be able to "unlock" these extra units with a BIOS modification or other hack and make your 5830 into a 5870. To be fair, this also applies to nVidia GPU's as they do much the same thing with their product lines.

Wow thats pretty awesome, I never knew lower models were made like that and the part about unlocking the extra units makes me anxious to do it but I bet it theres a pretty high chance the card would stop working. Learn something knew everday . But still can't wait for more benchmarks on the new 460 that came out..another card to add to my list of which graphics card to get =\.

Also SLI vs crossfire which one is the better choice?
__________________

coolguy is offline  
Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,363
Default Re: Can't figure out which graphics card to get

SLI vs Crossfire...they're pretty much the same. One's for nVidia and the other's for ATi but it really depends on the GPU's either way. The technologies employed are pretty similar, both SLI and CrossFire have different frame rendering modes (alternate frame rendering, split frame rendering, etc) and work with multiple GPU's.

As far as motherboard support goes CrossFire may be better if you are going with a budget build, SLI is only available on AMD boards if they have an nVidia chipset. If you're going with an Intel CPU then both CrossFire and SLI are supported on most boards, but with AMD CPU's the standard boards only support CrossFire. Both technologies employ a "bridge" connector that goes between the tops of the graphics cards and increases the bandwidth between them.

As far as the unlocking of units goes, it's really a game of luck. Your card may have a perfectly good chip that has been locked or you may unlock a bunch of defective units. In most cases you will see errors in gaming with the defective units and can simply disable them again to fix it, but there's always some risk involved with modifications. I unlocked some extra units on my friend's 8400M GS laptop card and gaming showed some improvement but not much. The hardware tweaks are easier on nVidia boards because of RivaTuner.
__________________

CalcProgrammer1 is offline  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 47
Default Re: Can't figure out which graphics card to get

Hey tenki, just thought I'd say that I had ordered my 5870 woop! It does better than the 480 GTX in Crysis and 3dmark so i'm happy about that and it consumes way less power and doesn't make so much heat, GL with choosing your card
Bevan is offline  
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Default Re: Can't figure out which graphics card to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
SLI vs Crossfire...they're pretty much the same. One's for nVidia and the other's for ATi but it really depends on the GPU's either way. The technologies employed are pretty similar, both SLI and CrossFire have different frame rendering modes (alternate frame rendering, split frame rendering, etc) and work with multiple GPU's.

As far as motherboard support goes CrossFire may be better if you are going with a budget build, SLI is only available on AMD boards if they have an nVidia chipset. If you're going with an Intel CPU then both CrossFire and SLI are supported on most boards, but with AMD CPU's the standard boards only support CrossFire. Both technologies employ a "bridge" connector that goes between the tops of the graphics cards and increases the bandwidth between them.

As far as the unlocking of units goes, it's really a game of luck. Your card may have a perfectly good chip that has been locked or you may unlock a bunch of defective units. In most cases you will see errors in gaming with the defective units and can simply disable them again to fix it, but there's always some risk involved with modifications. I unlocked some extra units on my friend's 8400M GS laptop card and gaming showed some improvement but not much. The hardware tweaks are easier on nVidia boards because of RivaTuner.
Nvidia and ati are more alike than I ever imagined, lol. I guess I'll probably just stay with crossfire and forget about nvidia, especially since I'm on a budget and really want crossfire. As far as modding/ modifying I think I'll stay away especially since I have really bad luck lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post
Hey tenki, just thought I'd say that I had ordered my 5870 woop! It does better than the 480 GTX in Crysis and 3dmark so i'm happy about that and it consumes way less power and doesn't make so much heat, GL with choosing your card
Congrats on picking =D, hope it works flawlessly for ya and thanks for the luck =]!
__________________

coolguy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help picking out the best graphics card for me please help ellieclifton System Upgrades 12 07-09-2010 11:09 PM
* Looking for new Graphics Card for my ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE 3800+ motherboard * Newbie05 New Systems | Building and Buying 11 06-22-2009 12:29 AM
Noobie - Anyone know what kind of Ram I take?! Kemperz System Upgrades 8 06-21-2009 11:59 PM
Graphics Card Issues HobbesUK Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 7 02-27-2009 09:49 PM
graphics card issues LostAcres Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 6 11-27-2008 09:45 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.