Cant decide on Single or Dual core Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadariin

Solid State Member
I was planning to upgrade my processor form 2.6 ghz to 3.0 ghz when the new dual cores were released. I read about the new Dual core processors and heard that they are faster than the Pentium 4 series. However, Im on a budget and I'm a little confused on what to buy.

So here it is, which is faster? A 3.0 ghz single core or a 2.8 dual core processor. What would be better for gaming? In our region these two parts are about the same price range (about 180-200$). Since the new dual cores will force me to dish out some extra cash for the mobo I would like to know if it is truly better than the single core or if I wont even notice the difference.

Personally I would go with the dual core.

More future proof if thats what you wanna call it.
The dual core AMD's and Single Core AMD's blow the P4's out of the water.

lancec2c30 said:
ya if you wanna game go withe the AMD :) :)

No if you want to game go with Intel.....everyone knows that.....

I expect you all know what Im talking about so im not going to explain...

Ok got that. But what dual core AMD processor should I get (with the same price range)? And what mobo is aproppriate for it? I'm not really familiar with AMD products and I was planning a full upgrade this year (mobo + video card + processor and maybe a power supply) since my rig is about 3 years old now. And on a side note I dont plan on over clocking since I'm not experienced.

So is an AMD 2.6 ghz better than a Intel 3.0 just by stock performance?

............You shouldn't get a AMD. Intel Conroes just released. Do a search for Intel Conroe and you will see what I mean.

NeedAcpu said:
............You shouldn't get a AMD. Intel Conroes just released. Do a search for Intel Conroe and you will see what I mean.

They are released on the 27th. Wait it out. Get the E6300. It is amazing. You shant be disappointed.

It seems that conroe is quite good but it isnt released yet. And the prices are way too steep for me ($500+ for the 2.6 ghz vesion) so I guess the lower priced AMDs will do. I'm just aiming to run my Guild Wars on high settings at 1024x768 and at least run doom 3 at medium settings without lagging. I'm not looking for the latest but thanks for the info though

Deathawk said:
I think that was sarcasm.
Um no?.....

The reason its 500+ is becuase the 2.6 Freaking RIPS.

Its not the same as an AMD.

AS stated in my previous post, Intel is clearly the better choice right now.

Get a E6300 Like Anthrax said.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom