Can a XFX GeForce 9600 GSO play modern games on low settings?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi.

I recently picked up a number of XFX GeForce 9600 GSO's. Just wondering if they can play any of the modern games on the lower settings.

Also, is it worth trying to SLI or Crossfire two of them or is it a total waste of time?

Soar

PS Here is what the vendor is saying about these prehistoric GPU's:

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO PVT96OYHF7 Video Card
The XFX GeForce 9600 GSO PVT96OYHF7 Video Card ends your search for the perfect graphics card to add to your PC. Offering impressive levels of realism and immersive HD entertainment, the XFX GeForce 9600 GSO PVT96OYHF7 Video Card offers unparalleled graphics performance and realism without the heavy cost. Powered by an NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO GPU and 512MB of GDDR3 RAM, this video card turbocharges your graphics with a 500Mhz Core Speed, Microsoft® DirectX® 10 support and NVIDIA Geforce® Boost. NVIDIA's PureVideo® HD engine supports hardware acceleration for an incredible Blu-ray and HD DVD movie experience at your PC. The PCI-Express 2.0 interface and low profile design of this card make it easy to install, while Dual-link DVI-I and HDMI ports connect to your display with ease. Unsurpassed image quality packed with stability and power make the XFX GeForce 9600 GSO PVT96OYHF7 Video Card the right upgrade for you; order yours now!

What It Is And Why You Need It:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO GPU; powerful and stable graphics from 512MB of GDDR3 RAM, a 500Mhz Core Speed and NVIDIA Geforce® Boost technology
Microsoft® DirectX® 10 support; improves graphics rendering with Shader Model 4.0 support
NVIDIA's PureVideo® HD; supports hardware acceleration for incredible Blu-ray and HD DVD entertainment
PCI-Express 2.0 interface; works in an SLI setup with a low-profile design
Dual-link DVI-I and HDMI ports; connect to your display and enjoy resolutions up to 2560 x 1600

Specifications
Connections
Interface Type PCI Express 2.0
Connector(s) 1 x HDMI
1 x Dual-Link DVI-I
Multiple Monitors Support Yes
Lifestyle
Chipset NVIDIA GeForce
GPU Series NVIDIA GeForce 9
Lifestyle Mainstream
Performance
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO
Additional Features Nvidia PureVideo HD
NVIDIA SLI Ready
NVIDIA Quantum Effects
Maximum Analog Resolution 2048 x 1536
Maximum Digital Resolution 2560 x 1600
Memory
Memory Type GDDR3
Memory Interface 128-bit
Video Memory 512MB
Core Clock 500 MHz
Memory Clock 1.8 GHz
Features
Overclocked No
APIs OpenGL 2.0
DirectX 10
Shader Model 4.0
1080p Support Yes
Video Output DVI
HDMI
Low Profile No
Cooling Type Fan
Multi-GPU Support SLI
Minimum PSU Wattage Requirement 400 Watt

My dad used a 9600gso until 2010 for gaming. It could do low to medium depending on res and the rest of the system.

I would have this 9600 GSO combo'ed with a AMD 965 BE, 8GB of DDR3 1600, 60 GB SSD SATA II, and a mid level MB. Could it still play most games on low settings and would it be worth it to SLI or Crossfire it?

Thank you,

Soar

i think it might. only way to know is to test. i used one for about the same time frame as pp's dad until i upgraded to the 4870, and it did ok. it would probably help a lot if you werent playing at 1920

I would have this 9600 GSO combo'ed with a AMD 965 BE, 8GB of DDR3 1600, 60 GB SSD SATA II, and a mid level MB. Could it still play most games on low settings and would it be worth it to SLI or Crossfire it?

Thank you,

Soar
You can SLI them sure, but the performance is only that of say a GTS250, or GT440. It would be able to play low to medium settings on a medium ish resolution.

You can SLI them sure, but the performance is only that of say a GTS250, or GT440. It would be able to play low to medium settings on a medium ish resolution.

PPM,

Ok, thank you. Well, is it very difficult to SLI two video cards?

What all is involved. I know a couple of my upper end video card came with a ribbon-like cable and I think it is to be used for either SLI or Crossfire.

How exactly would I install for an SLI set up?

Soar

You need to have a motherboard capable of SLI first, a PSU that is at least 600w in that machine, and then you just install them and the ribbon cable. When you turn the PC on the drivers should detect the second card (reboot might be needed) and the little Nvidia logo should pop up on your task bar saying your rig is multi-GPU capable.

You need to have a motherboard capable of SLI first, a PSU that is at least 600w in that machine, and then you just install them and the ribbon cable. When you turn the PC on the drivers should detect the second card (reboot might be needed) and the little Nvidia logo should pop up on your task bar saying your rig is multi-GPU capable.

PPM,

Wow! That sounds very easy! I will give it a shot. 600 Watts seems a lot for such small GPU's but I suppose the SLI sucks the power very, very much!

Ok, I hope you will not mind another question:

I have the following pairs of GPU's laying around doing absolutely nothing:

HD 6450 1GB
R6570 1GB
Nvidia 9600 GSO
Nvidia GeForce GT 520

Which pair would you say are best for playing games such as Crysis, COD MW4, ect?

I need to do something with these cards before they become so obsolete that I must toss them in the garbage.

Soar

Soar

Last edited:
Nvidia only really started keeping an eye on the TDP with the 600 series after people complained that Fermi took so much power. One thing to keep in mind, just because the GPU performs less than the modern stock, doesn't mean it didn't take as much to power what it could do back in the day. The 9600GSO itself requires a 400w PSU, so 2 would be fine on a good quality 600w.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say dual 6570s are the best setup out of the bunch.

Nvidia only really started keeping an eye on the TDP with the 600 series after people complained that Fermi took so much power. One thing to keep in mind, just because the GPU performs less than the modern stock, doesn't mean it didn't take as much to power what it could do back in the day. The 9600GSO itself requires a 400w PSU, so 2 would be fine on a good quality 600w.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say dual 6570s are the best setup out of the bunch.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me understand the best options on this new build.

I appreciate your help PP M.

Soar

Back
Top Bottom