Can my PSU handle a GTX 270?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I currently have this Ultra Xfinitly 600w psu, would it be able to handle a GTX 270 video card?
Ultra Xfinity 600W PSU Review :: The X-Finity PSU :: Motherboards.org

Also, my pc specs are in my sig (though no longer OC'd or water cooled) would a gtx 270 bottleneck at all from any of my specs? Also, what does fermi mean on a video card, and would a GTX 465 be fine for gaming upgrade from an 8800gt, or is the 470 worth the extra bucks? thanks guys!

Well I love Nvidia so I would say get it but if you are planning on getting a 470 and you don't really need DX11 then get the 295 because it is higher performance just a little more expensive.

^^ The 295 has been discontinued for a while now but even when it was available it delivered HD 5870 performance for a much higher price plus the drawbacks of a dual gpu card.

your psu will handle that card Go with an ATI card like Puddle Jumper said, they use less power and have a much better performance to price ratio than Nvidia. Plus you get Eyefinity with ATI which alows you to hook up 3 screens to the one card and play in a "wrap around" display.

hmm i've never really thought about going ATI... I always figured its best to do intel+nvidia, amd+ati... hmmm. I'm scared there will be a compatibility issue with the nvidia chipset and ati card if I chose that... are all of my specs fine besides that? and what does fermi mean?

you can use intel + ati and amd + nvidia just fine.

fermi is the name of nvidia's current gpu architecture, whic is what makes up their current gen gfx cards.

I was in the same situation, I didn't have very good experiences with ATi in the past and really had my mind set on nVidia for my new build, but after reading the HD5870 reviews I couldn't resist. I'm happy to say I love my 5870 and it performs very well, exceeds my expectations and now I'm back in the ATi crowd. I'm using it with an Intel Core i7 930 CPU, there is absolutely no reason that an ATi card wouldn't support Intel CPU's, PCI Express is PCI Express and is supported across the manufacturer spectrum. The only issue would be multi-card support but Intel has designed their chipsets to support both ATi's CrossFire X and nVidia's SLi multi-GPU technologies. AMD on the other hand sometimes lacks SLi support, making Intel+nVidia a somewhat better setup than AMD+nVidia if you plan on using more than one card. Then again, nVidia did make their own chipsets for AMD CPU's to solve this problem.

As far as I can tell, the ATi HD58xx cards are better than the nVidia GTX4xx cards due to a more efficient power design and a better price point. The GTX480 does win as the fastest single GPU, but it is $200 more than the 5870, the second fastest single GPU. To be honest, the two are very close in performance but the 480 is slightly ahead, but the 5870 uses less power, makes less heat, costs less, and supports Eyefinity.

I didn't think Eyefinity would be a huge important thing, the demos looked neat but I finally decided to go for it and bought 3 21.5" 1080p monitors and it is nothing short of amazing.

The only real downside to ATi cards is that they don't have CUDA or Physx support. CUDA is nVidia's proprietary GPU general-purpose computing library that enables heavy duty processing applications to use the GPU as a highly parallelized processing device to run complex computations. It is commonly used for intense processing and has been incorporated into the distributed computing system Folding@Home which many users on this forum participate in. PhysX is a gaming technology originally developed by Ageia but later acquired by nVidia. It originally allowed a dedicated "physics processing unit" on an expansion card to take the physics calculation load off the CPU to improve performance in a select few games that incorporated PhysX technology, but nVidia modified it to use CUDA and now any recent nVidia GPU can act as a Physics processor.

ATi responded this generation with OpenCL and DirectCompute, both of which will also be incorporated into nVidia's products. This should level the playing field for most GPU computing as developers will most likely switch to a more standardized, cross-platform system like OpenCL. However, with nVidia still the owner of PhysX, it is unlikely we will see that supported on ATi hardware in the near future, even if it is technically capable.

Wow calcprogrammer... Amazing info, thank you so much man. I just want a good upgrade from my 8800gt that I can bring to my next build. I just want to run games like battlefield bad company 2 flawlessly and more shooters in the future like crysis 2. The only thing pushing me away from ati is the lack of physx, but I wonder if that is really a big deal or not. I'm still stuck on wanting nvidia, but the 5xxx ati cards seem really nice. Ahh such a hard decision. Also forgot to mention that I am only running my resolution at 1360x768 on an HDTV and 1440x900 when I'm away at school.

I just won an EVGA GTX470 unopened with warranty from ebay for $287 shipped! thats a deal!! woo! I want to thank you all for your info, but I've always wanted a 470, and this was a price I couldn't pass up. Hopefully it isn't an empty evga box with a brick in it haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom