Can I use both 8-pin CPU cables on my new motherboard?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

Ok, here is my question:

Can I use both 8-pin CPU plugs from my Seasonic 850 Gold to plug into the two 8-pin jacks on my new motherboard?

Motherboard is the EVGA Z68 FTW 160-SB-E689-KR LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard. Power supply is the dreaded SeaSonic X Series X-850.

I am not sure if the Seasonic 8-pin plugs are the same, or if one is ATX12V and one is EPS12V. Can I use both of them?

I am a little confused in this area and do not want to fry my new system.

Please help me out if you can.

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes. If they are both actually 8pin CPU then they can both be plugged in.

Both are labeled CPU plugs and both have 8 pins.

Unless you are hugey overvolting your overclock, why use both? Just increases your cabling issues.

I am not overclocking at all.

If they are built in he either hides them or plugs them in. Since they both go to the same place and he has a huge case I don't see the problem.

The cables are a bit unusual for me...all cables in the past have been round or oval. These Seasonic cables are actually flat and ribbon-like...quite strange to me.

This is a SeaSonic X Series X-850...fully modular. So I suppose I could just remove the extra CPU cable if I wanted to.

I just tried the system with one 8 pin plug, then with two. Seems to work fine either way...

Wanna know what is funny? I have never had a motherboard before that has the two 8-pin slots for two CPU plugs. Also, I have never had a PSU that offered two 12vATX CPU cables.

This almost seems as if these two were meant for each other!

Soar

Back
Top Bottom