Can I make an External DVD+-RW and HD box with USB2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
Here is what I would like to do. I wouldlike to have an externam DVD+_RW and an external HD. Preferably they would run on USB 2.0, but 1934 would be ok, or a combo.

These drives don't need to be "external" if I can find a cast to hold the DVD drive and the HD. So I would also need to have this "combo box" powered by an external power supply. I would like this PS to run both the DVD and the HD. Next I will need a controller card, i guess. Are there any that will allow two IDE devices run on one USB cable to the computer?

What I want to do with this is rip DVD's on site straight to my external HD (which is in the combo rig..) So, my question is, if you have 2 usb devices one one cable, how slow will it be? would connecting 2 cables (one for each device) speed it up?

My questions is because I was looking at how a USB hub works. It pretty much just splits the wires to different locations. Nothing fancy..

So is it possible to rip from the DVD drive to the HD on the same USB cable? I think I do this, but it is done through a laptop hub (made by adaptec)

Anyway any suggestions here are much appreciated!

Thanks for the link. Has anyone else had problems with connecting to Newegg the last 7-10 days? I've been having a lot of problems.

Anyway, to respond to your post, I am going to have DVD decrypter on the external HD or on the Computer's HD (does it matter where it is installed?)

I am also going to have a couple other ripping programs on the HD.

I see the cases u are talking about. I'm looking for a case that only has ( 1 5.25" and 1 3.5" ) openings), so it is a compact ripping station. I could even settle for having one device on firewire and one in USB2.. Is this doable?

1)first i have no problem connectin to newegg lately.

2)the dvd decrypter has to be installed on the HD that the computer know where to look for.

3)they type of connection is all depends on the chip inside the case enclosure. and it's possible to have firewire and usb2. and this would be the last i'll make for the day. night night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom