Can I Build this PC for less Money? - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I have received all the parts and put them all together. However, the power supply does not have a 4 Pin 12v adapter for the motherboard. So, I made one. Now when I plug that in nothing happens. The case fans barely jerk and that is all.

Without the 4 Pin 12v plugged in all the fans run and all of the diagnostic LEDs come on and remain on, which means system start up. I cannot open the CD drive unless I disconnect the IDE cable from it. With only the power cable connected it opens fine. I have tried another IDE cable with the same results. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Nathan

Old 04-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rockeyman2
So, I made one.
...How did you make one?

And I know for a fact that that PSU has 24 conenctors. See the Newegg page for the PSU here. Now go down and look at the "main connector." See the 20+4Pins? You can confirm that from the pictures.

As for the drives, no idea. That goes in the Hardware Troubleshooting section.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Alright. I have the connectors in. I feel smart, didn't know they were connected. However, I am still having the same problem. I called DFI and they said the processor was not supported and I need to try another, but I don't just have another processor lying around.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

The Opteron? They're not officially supported, and the most you would need is a BIOS flash to make it work. Downlaod the new BIOS from another computer and put it on a floppy. Take out all but the necessary components on the new PC, boot up, and update the BIOS. Thats all you should need to do.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Techie

How do I do that? I see nothing on the screen. Nothing but 4 LEDS. Same problem as this guys:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50590

And DFI phone support is no good. I tell him about this guys post and he says it is either the CPU or the MOBO.

He did tell me to try it outside the case....
Old 04-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok. I rebuilt system with bare minimum outside. Same results.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Alright we have boot! To fix it. All I did was take out the CPU and put it back in. Strange......Hours of work leading no where 3 pointless calls to support and all it took was 1 min reinstalling the processor. Weird..... but it works now!!

Thanks for the replies!! I will hopefully post an update with while using it tonight!
Old 04-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I am currently posting with my new AWESOME computer system! Thanks to all of you who recommended parts.

There are only a few small problems:

The small sound ports do not work and the larger ones work but sound terrible, lots of static and a hum.

Sometimes when I start up the computer the USB keyboard/mouse do not function until I unplug and plug them in again.

Last night I was playing Oblivion to test out my new rig and it randomly crashed to the desktop.

Other than that is has run flawlessly.

I have not overclocked it yet, but plan to do so very soon.

Thank you for all the help and if you have and suggestions about the problems please let me know.

Thank you!

-Nathan
Old 04-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #49 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It's not uncommon for Oblivion to crash every now and then. And I guess you got bad integraded sound, you may want to shoot for a PCI soundcard.

Have fun with your new computer!
Old 04-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
True Techie

to the guy that told me that all i had to do is replace my ps. once and it would of fixed all my problems well that was the first thing i replaced and also the second thing i replaced but for the most part the company was the one doing all the replacing either at there company or over the phone service. so i felt i must defend myself just a little thanks

Closed Thread