can anyone vouch for or against APUs

Lemonade1947

Solid State Member
Im thinking of a putting a system together with the AMD A10-6800K Black Edition.

While i plan to get a GFX card later on, my idea was to get the APU and use this for gaming until I can afford it.

Ive heard mixed reviews about APUs generally and their performance. I wanna know if anyone has any experience with them and whether you'd recommend this particular one?

The CPU performance is rather lacking as of now (will explain later*), and the GPU is above average for an IGP.

Thing is, what graphics card do you plan on putting in there later and what games do you plan on playing?

*APUs currently lack in CPU performance compared to their bigger brothers which is a shame considering how many gens they've already had. They do use less power than the FX series and simply get the job done, but once AMD's dedicated CPUs run EOL their APUs will continue to get more powerful making them better for standard "typical use" CPUs.

APU's definitely lack the horse power to edit video and intense math calculations. Buy they do perform better than the Intel IGP. For gaming you'd be o.k.

You could probably do better spending more on a $$ dedicated video card $$ with an i5 set up so you could actually have the best of both, there is of course a price for that option

I was thinking more along the lines of, the APU is ok if he planned on sticking with a lower end GPU like the R7 260x, or a 7850 but I wouldn't skimp on the CPU if he's going for a 760 or R9.

I was thinking more along the lines of, the APU is ok if he planned on sticking with a lower end GPU like the R7 260x, or a 7850 but I wouldn't skimp on the CPU if he's going for a 760 or R9.

Please look at the video card link details before replying back.
I checked the at i card you mentioned, its good one, but I think nvidia might have an advantage over them.
My only concern is with evga refurbished policy, they don't mention how much warrenty time your getting with this card.
Other than that, I also agree it be best if he got a better cpu and dedicated graphics card.
I checked intels price tag for the quads, if he were wiling cough up 60.00 bucks more I say go for a haswell quadcore.
Other than that, he should have way more then what he is getting from amd's curent line of apus. :/
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX - Newegg.com
Newegg.com - Refurbished: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2653-RX GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com
Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com

Please look at the video card link details before replying back.
I checked the at i card you mentioned, its good one, but I think nvidia might have an advantage over them.
My only concern is with evga refurbished policy, they don't mention how much warrenty time your getting with this card.
Other than that, I also agree it be best if he got a better cpu and dedicated graphics card.
I checked intels price tag for the quads, if he were wiling cough up 60.00 bucks more I say go for a haswell quadcore.
Other than that, he should have way more then what he is getting from amd's curent line of apus. :/
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX - Newegg.com
Newegg.com - Refurbished: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2653-RX GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com
Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com
That is because they don't sell AMD cards chap.

Oh you mean the 650, 1 year limited. He would be better off with the R7 260x honestly.

Last edited:
Because a beefed up 7790 (R7 260x) is even faster than a 650ti. I mean, the 650 usually gets outdone by the 7770 as well. It's just not a very good card compared to say the 650ti or 650ti Boost.

I had an A10-5800K in a PC a while back, it did okay with games. I didn't really find a game it wouldn't play on low-medium.

Back
Top Bottom