Can an AMD A4-3400 CPU be used to play games such as BF3, Crysis, etc.?

This guy builds machines and sells them while getting parts on the cheap. He has a discrete GPU and said he will be using that alone. No point in wasting more profit money on faster RAM that won't make a different.

Yes, I'm fully aware how IGPs depend on system RAM speed. It is the exact reason why I don't recommend people GPUs without GDDR5 or 3.

If you plan on using the iGPU get the fastest DDR3 the board will hold. If you don't than the iGPU will be bottlenecked by slow memory bandwidth. If you plan on putting dedicated video cards into the machines than it doesn't matter what speed. Tho again, if you plan on doing dual graphics mode. I would aim for the fastest DDR3 you can install into the boards. Otherwise I wouldn't put no bigger than a HD 7770 into these machines, else your money will be going out the window from the bottlenecks (buying more card than your machine can use).

Even 1866 is going to impact performance, benchmarks show don't skimp out on memory speed when using iGPU's. If the board holds 2400MHz than I would pick up that, otherwise you might be disappointed at what slower memory bandwidth is going to do to your performance.

Thanks for the ideas, but I do plan on using discrete GPU's. I need to move a significant amount of left over components because I am shutting down my Ebay company. The best way for me to move all of this is to simply build rigs and sell em' fast on Craigslist.

He is getting this stuff on sale rather cheap. He isn't going for the high end expensive RAM just to get a few extra FPS out of the IGP. That's what the 6870 is for. I mean come on, he spent 20 bucks a piece on each CPU and only a little over a bill on both motherboards.

Yes you are right PPM. I found a bunch of decent computer cases over the last few months for under $10. I have accumulated lots and lots of 1600MHz RAM for nearly two years and it is time I get rid of everything. This is not to mention boatloads of PSU's, DVD combo's etc.

Well you can get 2133 for less than $10 more than 1600 DDR3. And it will boost FPS over 5-10 in every game, which is a big difference than playing BF3 on medium at 25 FPS and playing it at medium at 35 FPS. Memory has that big of an impact on iGPU's, why do you think Kaveri will have GDDR5 as system ram? AMD APU's are being held back by slow desktop DDR3. Tho like I said if he's going with discrete, than it doesn't matter. Tho I don't see who would have two 6870's to build two low end gaming machines out of...

WM,

The problem is I already purchased a ton of 1600MHz RAM 1-2 years ago when it was easily available for $40-$60 per 16GB. I cannot purchase anymore RAM because the prices are too high and I must get rid of what I stockpiled. For me, building cheap, no frills rigs that can do some gaming is probably the best way for me to move this stuff and close up shop.

This guy builds machines and sells them while getting parts on the cheap. He has a discrete GPU and said he will be using that alone. No point in wasting more profit money on faster RAM that won't make a different.

Yes, I'm fully aware how IGPs depend on system RAM speed. It is the exact reason why I don't recommend people GPUs without GDDR5 or 3.

Yeah, right again PPM.

Ok, one more question...

I have a significant number of new 7770's and also MSI N650's. Will both get the gaming job done or will I have unhappy customers complaining that it won't run some games?

Soar

All GPUs in question will run all games with various settings. Mostly low and medium with the exception of maybe Crysis 3. Probably too low end for that game. Haven't payed attention to low end card benchmarks on that game cause that's just silly.

Thanks for the ideas, but I do plan on using discrete GPU's. I need to move a significant amount of left over components because I am shutting down my Ebay company. The best way for me to move all of this is to simply build rigs and sell em' fast on Craigslist.

If you do plan on selling rigs that you build and selling on craigs price them reasonably and set a time to sell.
Since you've been at the ebay game I won't say very much, but I get a headstart and aim at the end of the school year and price things according to the economy.
Too high price machines means you won't see a dime, bargening,offer or even trade in value of equal of items will make good sales.

Best of luck soar.

If you do plan on selling rigs that you build and selling on craigs price them reasonably and set a time to sell.
Since you've been at the ebay game I won't say very much, but I get a headstart and aim at the end of the school year and price things according to the economy.
Too high price machines means you won't see a dime, bargening,offer or even trade in value of equal of items will make good sales.

Best of luck soar.

Thanks for the good advice Mike! I never even attempted to sell a rig on Ebay because I am afraid people would ruin my 100% feedback rating. So I ONLY have sold sealed, new in the box computer components and have done well over the last 3-4 years....this way 99.9% of the buyers are happy and I do not have to deal with cheaters and liars. I believe selling used computer components on Ebay is asking for trouble...esp. when it comes to computer components.

I have sold 9-10 rigs per year on Craigslist and for me, this is what has worked/not worked:

Worked:

Mid range gaming rigs with all new or mostly new components
$400-$600 range seems to work well for me
Nice pictures of the components and final build
Always meeting in a Starbucks with public cameras [we have had a lot of CL robberies in our area]

What has not worked for me:

Low end rigs
Super high end rigs

Oh, I forgot to mention, when the tablet craze first hit the USA, I sold so many tablets that I got totally burned out [as in 10-20 per week]. Made a lot of quick cash, but I was totally burned out and had to stop.

Presently, I just want to liquidate my entire computer component inventory and close up shop.

Craigslist has been a great place to sell mid range gaming rigs for me. The average buyer is a young adult that likes to game and is looking for a good deal. Often, it will be a dad looking for a good deal for his son. I have never had any complaints because I always gave people a good deal and never cheated or deceived anyone. The best part of all is I can sell 8-10 components [average rig] in one shot and not have to deal with Ebay shipping, fees, etc.

I also work as a full time public school teacher and also have 3 construction companies. Not sure if you heard, but California's construction went from dead to full speed ahead recently and there is massive bucks to be made now.

I've learned to roll with the punches. When one thing slows down, I will pick up another.

Have a great day and thanks for your help!

Soar

CL never gets me anywhere with computer parts, even if I cut myself half way. People think their **** is worth more than it is and your stuff isn't worth squat.
You're right on Ebay. I never sell PC parts or PCs on there.

CL never gets me anywhere with computer parts, even if I cut myself half way. People think their **** is worth more than it is and your stuff isn't worth squat.
You're right on Ebay. I never sell PC parts or PCs on there.

PPM,

I never sell components on CL either. But there is a very real market for mid range [$400-$600} gaming rigs. I also have a friend in Austin, TX near the University and he is doing well selling the mid range gaming rigs. Believe it or not, he told me he is doing well with the AMD APU rigs...I thought that was strange.

Normally, I only use the AMD 945, 955, 965, 1035, 1045, or 1055. Rigs with these CPU's have been incredibly good sellers for me. Some times they are gone instantly...at other times, just need to be patient until the right gamer sees the deal, then it goes quickly again.

To be 100% honest with you, at first it was fun. I liked building computers very, very much.

Now, it is no longer so much fun, and I want to move on. The good news is I became very proficient at building computers!

Thanks again for all the help you have given me over the years PPM.

I may not agree with you all the time, but I do appreciate you a lot....

Ok, one more question for you...

I told you I put that Intel 2500k with the EVGA MB together...and it works fine.

I left the AMD FX 8350 in the box along with the Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3.

So help me out here....

Which is better considering my needs for that specific computer:

1. Several security cams running 24/7
2. No gaming
3. Occasional movies with Bluray
4. Emergency back up should my Intel 3570 [primary rig] go down
5. Video editing [I work in the area of kinesiology [human kinetics] and from time to time, I need to shoot videos, edit them, and use them for training purposes for athletes.

So what is it, the Intel or the AMD, or will you say build a low end rig that sips the energy?

Soar

In early 2010 I was trying to sell my water cooled main rig (i5 750 at the time) with my 4890 (5000 series just came out). For the day, it was rather top end, with a 1TB HDD and an SSD. I was asking 550 for it and not a single email or call on it. Lots of pictures, clean, many details, ya know how you are supposed to have it. Nothing. Seriously, the rig was closer to 1000 bucks in those days. After that, I stopped trying to sell rigs period.

As it stands, right when the 680s came out and were still out of stock I tried selling a 580 and had to price for 325 before anybody even contacted me on it. The card in particular was still going for over 500 bucks on Ebay and the 670 and 660ti weren't out yet. Go figure. My only luck moving PC parts was when I was on TPU. I got a TON of good deals over there.

I think I answered this question before. If you don't care about power consumption then the 8350. If you want to save on power with a lot less heat then the 2500k. If it was me, I would use the 3570 for everything lol.

Maybe your poor luck on CL has to do with your location...I sold my i5-750 within hours and got $600 for it, and that was in 2010 too. I forgot to remove my data HDD that had all my personal data [I was exhausted at the time and totally burned out]. The guy even had the decency to drive back, meet me in a parking lot, and give me my data drive back! My wife and I were shocked at the time. I have had only good experiences so far on CL, but we operate with extreme caution.

Two years ago a young kid tried to sell his Apple Phone on CL. His "customers" met him in the local Walmart parking lot. They took his phone, his wallet, his new red mustang, and all his clothes. Police switchboard lit up with over 25 calls about a young man running naked through Walmart's parking lot...

Good news is the perps were caught 45 minutes later. All three now doing serious time.

Ok, back to sales....what is TPU if I may ask?

And, yeah, you answered my question perfectly...again I suppose. My problem is I want the new CPU and it's bells and whistles, but I do not want to pay the extra electro and have more of the heat...and that is exactly why I went with the 2500k.

The darn 8350 keeps calling my name.

An idea came to my mind after reading your post...

Use the 3570 for everything, and build the 8350 and merely keep it as a back up...

Kind of an expensive piece of hardware to use as never turned on backup...

Soar

Maybe your poor luck on CL has to do with your location...I sold my i5-750 within hours and got $600 for it, and that was in 2010 too. I forgot to remove my data HDD that had all my personal data [I was exhausted at the time and totally burned out]. The guy even had the decency to drive back, meet me in a parking lot, and give me my data drive back! My wife and I were shocked at the time. I have had only good experiences so far on CL, but we operate with extreme caution.

Two years ago a young kid tried to sell his Apple Phone on CL. His "customers" met him in the local Walmart parking lot. They took his phone, his wallet, his new red mustang, and all his clothes. Police switchboard lit up with over 25 calls about a young man running naked through Walmart's parking lot...

Good news is the perps were caught 45 minutes later. All three now doing serious time.

Ok, back to sales....what is TPU if I may ask?

And, yeah, you answered my question perfectly...again I suppose. My problem is I want the new CPU and it's bells and whistles, but I do not want to pay the extra electro and have more of the heat...and that is exactly why I went with the 2500k.

The darn 8350 keeps calling my name.

An idea came to my mind after reading your post...

Use the 3570 for everything, and build the 8350 and merely keep it as a back up...

Kind of an expensive piece of hardware to use as never turned on backup...

Soar

If you have that amd fx 8350, make a new machine and test it out.
If I were as lucky you to have 2 main amd/intel builds I'll be rich mofo. :p
But see whats best for you, I recommend you try it before you get rid of it.
I don't think that 8350 is a true 8 core, but you would have to look closely at amd's wiki and release notes and come to your own conclusion.

About selling lower end rigs, start aiming at the lower income people.
I promise you people will buy if you price it between 95-200 with shipping factored in if they can't pick it up.
Also setup 2 way 3 way payment, if it cost 150 to sell a low end machine make em pay by 75.00 or whatever.
Get their licenses information, if you are a legit business owner and they don't make good on their payments..
Speak with your bank/paypal or whatever financial institute to find a way to safe from too much sell loss on now show payments.
If you have parts you can strip from new rigs, research it carefully and sell a lil bit cheaper.

Thats the best way to aim at people and work with them.

Back
Top Bottom