Cable Modding - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Cable Modding

The power cables that came with my Silverstone power supply are, with a couple of exceptions, WAY too long, and are crowding the **** out of my case (which is a large case to begin with). Also, many of them have extraneous connectors (if my video card recommends to have each PCI-E power input be completely dedicated, I don't need a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector on each cable).

How easy is it to cut off excessive lengths of cable and reterminate them? I have almost zero experience with a soldering iron, but I believe there are some substances out there that are like soldering gel which make it easier.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Cable Modding

don't do it. end discussion, topic closed.

it will void your power supply warranty, you might short something you, if you do it wrong you could fry your hardware... all bad news. plain down right dont do it.

Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 10-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

it would be relatively simple, even if you have no experience soldering, but i'm not gonna suggest it primarily because of voiding your warranty, like Sean mentioned.

if the option is available, return your psu and get a modular one.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

It is a modular one. It's just that the cables that came with it are too **** big, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of options online for the cables that hog the most room (the PCI-E 6 pin and 8 pin cables).

I guess I'll just deal with it.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Deal with it or buy new mods.
- AMD FX8320 @ 4.2Ghz - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb -
- Asus Strix GTX 970 - Corsair Neutron GTX - Corsair TX 750 -
- Cooler Master HAF XB - Corsair H105 -
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Arnt there zip ties you can buy? Just use those to get the cables closer together and tuck them away. or bend them over back to the PSU and tape the access down...
Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes, I have zip ties, it's just that the cables are like 5" thick lol. None of this is stuff that can't be overcome, but it will definitely impede airflow.

Does anyone know of a place that makes custom cables? Like where I could say "I need a 14 inch 8 pin PCI-E cable, an SATA cable with two connectors that is 8 inches long, etc."?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Have you searched Newegg? Also I would first monitor temperature to see if it is that big of a problem.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah, I looked at Newegg. They've pretty much got what I already have.

Even if the temps stay down, I still want an uncluttered case with custom cables if I can find them at a reasonable price... I've found that 90% of the build time so far has been rerouting cables so that they can squeeze in.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Really any electronics guy could do it for you. It's pretty easy to shorten a wire, you just need the right equipment.
1. Cut the wire.
2. put a bit of heatshrink tubing over the wire
3. splice the wires back together
4. use a heat gun to melt the tubing onto the wire

That's the steps for doing this, but if you don't have the know-how or tools or experience, then like I said any electronics guy should be able to help you out. Maybe check out your local college? Mine had a room with all the stuff you'd need to do this. They might let you borrow it

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread