Which C2D??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
Well I saw a really low price on a C2D on Newegg.
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

And then there's this C2D that i've got in my shopping cart ready to buy:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

The first one is the E4300 Allendale 1.8ghz ($139)

The second one is the E6300 Conroe 1.86ghz ($182)

There's a 43 dollar difference between the two...What's the advantage of the E6300?

other way round actually. the e4300 is newer then the e6300 the e4300 is more powerful If you can wait a month or so on your build you can get the improved memory version (e6320) which claims to be retailed at the same price as the original e6300 and maybe by that time save up some money to buy an e6420 which will probably be the over clocking king of the C2D range as the main limitation to performance was the memory buffer being only 2mb

The E6300 and E6400 physically have 4MB cache on the dye. However 2mb is disabled. Conroes were the chips made with 4mb cache therefore even though they are disabled they are still Conroes.

The E4300 and soon to be E4400 physically only have 2mb cache on them though so they are true Allendales.

So is it possible to unlock that cache? Why would intel put 2 MB of disabled cache on a 4mb Cache processor? To tease you into buying a 4MB cache processor?

Well heres how it works. Intel creates all of their conroes the same and trys to make them all X6800. However a lot run too hot for them to be considered the extreme version so they just downgrade them until where the heat is suitable to sell it. They disabled the cache on the 4MB becuase the extra cache makes it run a little hotter. This way they can keep good product control but still sell most of the chips they created.

And no you cannot unlock the cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom