C&C generals runs slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

badshooter

Solid State Member
I just built a new computer with a pentium D@ 3.0 GHz, with a new SATA hard drive, 1Gb DDR2 RAM, and a 256mb video card. the problem is when playing in skirmish mode with a lot of other players, more the 3 as the game progresses the game gets slower, it gets to the point where the units are barely moving, as the teams are defeated the game starts getting faster again. Is this a problem with the game or my computer? BTW the game now loads much faster than with my old computer(Pentium 4 @2.8, 1.25 Gb Ram, SATA hard drive, 256mb video) but gameplay is the same. Will more RAM fix this problem. I'm running XP new install with nothing else on the machine.

I used to play C&C zero hour on a 256mb ram, 2.6Ghz pentium 4 and a really bad Compaq pre built video card.
I used to play it on low settings with that PC and everything was ok. On the other PC i played Zero hour on only gets like that when playing on on a LAN.

badshooter said:
I just built a new computer with a pentium D@ 3.0 GHz, with a new SATA hard drive, 1Gb DDR2 RAM, and a 256mb video card. the problem is when playing in skirmish mode with a lot of other players, more the 3 as the game progresses the game gets slower, it gets to the point where the units are barely moving, as the teams are defeated the game starts getting faster again. Is this a problem with the game or my computer? BTW the game now loads much faster than with my old computer(Pentium 4 @2.8, 1.25 Gb Ram, SATA hard drive, 256mb video) but gameplay is the same. Will more RAM fix this problem. I'm running XP new install with nothing else on the machine.

what kind of video card do you have.. because i know when i had my 6800 gs and there wre tons of units it slowed down a bit.. and that video is still pretty good as of today..... and what settings are you playing on

I played that game on my crappy p4 2.0, geforce 2 32mb, 768 RB ram and it runs allright on low settings. I didnt experience lag until I had more then 4 players.

Jumping_Bean514 said:
I played that game on my crappy p4 2.0, geforce 2 32mb, 768 RB ram and it runs allright on low settings. I didnt experience lag until I had more then 4 players.

Thats exactly my problem. The video card is an ATi x800GTO even with the settings at low it still does this. i have tried different, older video cards and the same exact problem. I don't think its a video problem. Its more of a lag on a LAN game when you have a slow connection, but I'm not playing a LAN game.

its probably the other guys' computers thats slowing the game down...

oh i just realized you don't actually plan on the net.. you just play against comps.. umm...

Minimum System Requirements
OS: 98,ME,XP or 2000, CPU: 800 MHz, RAM: 128 MB, Video: 32MB (HW T&L Direct X 8.1) GeForce 2 or Radeon 7500 , Disc Drive: 8x or faster CD/DVD drive, Hard Drive: 1.8 GB or more free space

your system should totally rape that... did you try putting the game on 1 core on its own?

oh and which video card do you have?

X800 GTO has 12 pixel pipelines and lower clock speeds than an X800 XT
what resolution do you run at?

I used to get pretty bad lag with 4 hard armies, this was on my 6200 (4 pixel pipelines) and my Sempron 2800+

when I upgraded to my 7900 GT (24 pipelines), the game played very smoothly, on the highest resolution. I am still running on my Sempron 2800+.

so it seems to be affected strongly by video performance. your CPU should be fine though.

you can try downloading rivatuner, or ATITool and overclocking your video card.
also, you may want to try unlocking your card to 16 pipelines (it can be done in Rivatuner)

only some (older) connect3D x800gto's actually unlocked to 16 pipes.. the newer ones are all laser-shut.. (and i assume hence damaged and unlockable..) so if its not connect3D, then it wont' unlock!

if its the x800gto^2, well then that one will unlock, guaranteed! and usually it comes unlocked already.. and is nearly guaranteed to reach x850xt speeds.. i believe the success rate is 100% for unlocking pipes of the x800gto^2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom