Buying a new Laptop! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: Buying a new Laptop!

yes but laptop parts cost allot it is usually cheaper to buy pre-made unless you have an old laptop you can salvage parts from. If you want to go down the small factor pc route I could help you with parts for that like the mini-itx format which is 6" by 6" motherboard but laptops it is generally something you need to look for yourself as you want one which fits your needs and your character. Do some personal research

Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey thanks for the responses guys. I'm really pretty sure now that my pricerange is going to be considerably less. I'm looking for more around the range of $12-1300 Tops. Under that would be Fantastic. I can also do refurbished. If you guys know of any great all-around laptops performance wise around that pricerange give me a ring. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Hey art, I purchased an HP 6000T, custom built with a Core2Duo, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM, 120 GB HDD, 7400 Go (not the greatest but will play any game I am currently using, is more of a college laptop, not a gaming laptop need to conserve money), 12 cell Li-Ion battery for extra live time.

for $1,162 I have not recieved it yet since it is still being sent to me but it promises to be a VERY nice laptop.

Again, it is NOT for gaming it is for all around playing small games once a month to watching dvds without the craptastic integrated video cards.

Anyways, have a good one.

-Josh

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 04-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey Josh, thanks for the suggestion. That one you've got configured does seem like a pretty sweet deal.

The only downside is, as you stated, the video card, and if it weren't for that, I'd pick it up in a sec. That, and it's an HP. As far as I know they don't age very well. It seems like the components surrounding the graphics card it ships with outclass it by a pretty large degree. Here's a benchmark comparison of most of the current and recent video cards. The one you listed is a bit slow.

Notebookcheck: Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List

But like I said, it seems like a good deal aside from the video card. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Here's a good one. It matches most of my criteria. What do you guys think/hear about the Asus line - particularly this laptop?

Newegg.com - ASUS A8 Series A8JM-H019H-XP NoteBook Intel Core Duo T2400(1.83GHz) 14" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 667 100GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - Retail

Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Geek Squad

As I said, the only types of games I play are RTSs and you can run those on high on pretty much anything, and I am not getting it for the gaming factor anyways...

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

Old 04-21-2007, 01:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

You have to watch out for overheating with some of those high performance laptops.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Bah, plug in everest and that fixes that issue.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Old 04-21-2007, 03:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

..everest?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Everest is a program that monitors your computer's temperatures. It also tells you alot of info on your computer.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Closed Thread