Buying new gaming monitor... suggestions needed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
So I am looking to purchase a new gaming monitor and use my Samsung SyncMaster T240 as a second screen. I have had good luck with Samsung and was wondering what everyone suggested? How does the LED technology perform in computer monitors and would it be worth going with that? I am looking to spend no more than $300... Thanks in advance for all the help given! Oh and I have a GTX 285...

I've had really great luck with Samsung monitors over the years. If you already have one I would stick with that. We have a lot of Asus monitors at work and they are pretty good too. What size and resolution are you targeting?

LED is definitely the way to go

If you want Samsung, I've used a 21.5" version of this: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG S20A350B ToC Rose Black 20" LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1) and it is amazing.

I prefer LG monitors: Newegg.com - LG IPS226V-PN Black 21.5" 8ms IPS Panel Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 5,000,000:1 <-- one of their newest ones and it has IPS panels

or (and I know you said not over $300), if you want to go big and get LG's best: Newegg.com - LG E2290V-SN Titanium Color 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1

Well, my samsung just died on me after a little over 2 years. Warranty was only 1 year.

I just bought an Asus, and now I am unhappy that I could have gotten an LED monitor for $20 more. I didn't even look at them because I figured they would be way expensive. Dumb.

And yeah if you want Samsung, at least get a 24". 21.5 is small.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=24"_LED_Monitor-_-24-001-486-_-Product

You could get an Asus of the same size for $200 if you wanted to spend less.

But I would bump up to this for $20 more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=24"_LED_Monitor-_-24-001-440-_-Product

Better response time, better contrast ration, and has hdmi ports instead of just DVI.

Well, my samsung just died on me after a little over 2 years. Warranty was only 1 year.

I just bought an Asus, and now I am unhappy that I could have gotten an LED monitor for $20 more. I didn't even look at them because I figured they would be way expensive. Dumb.

And yeah if you want Samsung, at least get a 24". 21.5 is small.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG S24A300B High Glossy Black 24" 5ms Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

You could get an Asus of the same size for $200 if you wanted to spend less.

But I would bump up to this for $20 more:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG BX2431 Glossy Black 24" 2ms LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

Better response time, better contrast ration, and has hdmi ports instead of just DVI.

I like this one: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG BX2431 Glossy Black 24" 2ms LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

What about a nice video card upgrade as well...? Would it be worth it to get two of those monitors and a beasty video card?

That card would be good, but note that you cannot play games across both monitors if you were planning on doing that.. :) Also, make sure your case supports a large graphics card like that and the heat. You may want to get a card like this: Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card if you want better cooling. I looked at your case on newegg and these may not be problems, but just make sure before you spend $500+ on it... :)

My case is huge so room is not a big problem. I am thinking I will start a new post because I am wanting to complete my water cooling set up... I will make a loop for the video card then to a single rad then to the chipset then back to the rez...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom