buying new computer, need advice badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

lousq7

Beta member
im generally a pretty big gamer, and play games like EQ, WoW, WC3, CS, etc. a lot of the time. i basically play all these games on a.....*gulp* 1.4 gig p4 computer. basically, i think its time for me to upgrade and i talked my parents into it, but they put me on a budget. i wanna buy a computer thats as close to the performance of a 2.5 gig p4 processor (video game wise), but is within the $400 range. after seeing most p4 computers have 3 gig and above (and were too expensive for them), we decided to make our own. so i got a 2.6 p4 cpu, compatible mobo, and a stick of 512 ram for starters. put them together, didnt work. exchanged mobo, didnt work. exchanged mobo AGAIN, worked but shut off 10 seconds later (each time the piece of hardware that seemed most problematic was the mobo). we spend days tryin to fix that last one, but our efforts were in vain.

we're deciding now we're just gonna buy a computer and thats that. the only computer i see in our budget is:

AMD sempron 3000 2.0 gig
333mhz fsb
256kb L2 cache

or

AMD sempron 31000 1.8 gig
1600mhz FSB
256kb L2 cache.

basically, from the opinion of a not so experieced son of a former computer engineer, this doesnt look liek too much of a difference. my real question however, is would any of these be anywhere NEAR the performance of a 2.6 gig p4 processor? i've been over 2 of my friends houses, one with a 3 gig p4 and 2.6 gig. each ran games like world of warcraft so much better than my computer, i basically want their level of performance. any advice would be insurmountabley appreciated.

my parents dont order anything, they dont trust that lol, they only go for parts they can pick up themselves. we buy all our stuff from microcenter since we live somewhat close to the only one in new york. also, we get an extra $100 rebate if we buy a computer with the microcenter card. and also, when we baught the ram, mobo, and processor, with rebates and such it was 220 with tax. but.......it just doesnt work. we exchanged the parts and they still didnt work. my parents are pretty pissed off about this whole situation and going for the pieces seperatly isnt even an option right now.

well sadly i dont live in america, try the microcenter website for the parts i put down, they will last awhile. Also if you replaced the parts and they still didnt work could be your PSU(power suppy unit) isnt working. If microcenter do computer tests or repairs take it to them to check. Or if you have a friend with spare parts chop and change parts such as mobo then ram etc until you find the problem.

Although if you changed the parts and they still didnt work and all you changed was the mobo,cpu and ram then i think its a PSU problem. Does it not come on at all? or can you get to the bios?

it does turn on, but not long enough to get into bios. turns off like 10 seconds later. nearly positively sure the power isnt the problem. and its kinda late for that now, my dad (whos a former computer engineer) is basically tired of endlessly swappin parts from microcenter to no avail. we're basically gonna just get a computer and be done with it, and most likely we're gonna get the sempron 3000 one i described. i basically wanna know.....how good is it? what would be the pentium 4 equivilant of it? is it pretty good for gaming? better than my old 1.4 gig? worse? anything, i have no idea how this cpu stands in relation to any other, so im dieing to find out. i dont wanna buy it and end up finding out it wasnt worth it.

one thing i didnt mention is that when we went to get a computer, we found one on clearance that was an athlon 3000. when i braught it home, i checked and found out it was actually an athlon 2400.....and it was HORRID with any of the games i tried. it was good running regular programs with music, Windows media player, things like that, but when it came to games, forget about it. even tho the video card is only 32mb (turns out it doesnt have an AGP slot after all), it was still running worse than my 1.4 gig one with the same video card. i dunno if the athlon 2400 is SUPPOSED to be like this, or if there was some other problem with it. im basically trying to compare the sempron to this to get an idea of where it stands. any help would be greatly appreciated

Well sadly I dont no if it will be better id think maybe the pentium 4 you had might be better than the sempron, but dont quote me on that :) go for the sempron 64 3000+ so you get the best from 64 bit technology in the future. Although if you really want to play good games u`ll need a better video card as it can make up any problems with a CPU. And RAMs cheap these days so try for 1 gig at least semprons are good processors and it does have a faster clock speed but less cache but as iv said I dont no much about intel, all i can say is get more RAM better vid card if you can and the sempron 64 3000+ should be decent enough.

Although if you really can afford it update your mobo to socket 939 so you can get an amd althon 64 3000+ venice core you will see lots of improvement in that and isnt that much more expensive than what your planning on buying.

Sorry if I havnt helped you enough on the intel comparrison try searching this forum using the search utility to see if someone else has got answers to it.

good luck on your pc build

A pentium 4 will be better than the sempron and althlon xp but not better than an athlon 64, but if you have to choose between the sempron and althon go for the sempron 64 3000+ or higher it has built in memory controller and if you use it with a 754 socket motherboard u`ll get HTT so offer alot more and even upgrading options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom