Buying my 4890.. but.. which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok so finally I decided, yes, for sure, 90% to buy a 4890.

Now... I would go with this one :Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

BUT

before I get all buy-happy, let's consider one thing that "may" come into the future:

Over Clocking.

Which 4890 seems to OC the best so far? have there been any horror stories? I figure the last thing I want to do is buy all this, then say 3 months down the road go to Overclock and find out that the one I bought can't be OC'ed as far as another one I could have bought at that time.

OC is new to me - and I don't have a system ready for it - I am on pure stock only so I would need some after market parts and some good thermal grease and all kinds of supplies - but I would rather buy the GPU that is "ready for OCing" now then worry about it later.

I chose that XFX because it:
Is not OC already (means I don't pay for something I could have done easily with your help)
It has lifetime warranties (double lifetime actually)
It has been said that XFX supports OCing with their coolers - so if it gets damaged it's STILL under warranty. (Rare thing really - you mess up and they still love you)
And there is a chance that if I have to RMA it back - they will send an Updated card to me instead (provided one is available and in the price range) so a "free upgrade"

I'd get the XFX for the same reasons you mentioned above, the reasons listed more than make up for its slightly higher price tag... even if the XFX was Superclocked, I'd get it.. but I wish it was, because it'd be able to go further

I purchased the regular clocked XFX 4890 and am waiting for it to arrive. You could consider buying this one because it comes with a free game for $10 more and you could sell it and get some money back...I don't know if that's worth it to you (or play it).

Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDEC Radeon HD 4890 Xtreme 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Either way, stick with XFX. It is the better choice all around. Just my two pennies. I would have bought that one so that I could sell the game, but my mother is going to be on the plane coming to visit me and I am already making her carry enough computer parts :p

I've owned quite a few XFX cards (7) and I've had to deal with there rma department before, I have to say they were outstanding. I'm also a big fan of EVGA, but they don't sell ATI, pardon me :D

The only reason I wouldn't buy the card you have linked is because it's not listing any real info about the memory, not even on the newegg specification page. This leads me to believe that they may have used a slightly slower memory module on that particular model of 4890.

I also wouldn't spend the extra money for the model that comes with the game. Your paying for that game if you buy it, trust me.

If I was going to spend my money on an ATI product I would spend $10 more and get this card :D

Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDDC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The only reason I wouldn't buy the card you have linked is because it's not listing any real info about the memory, not even on the newegg specification page. This leads me to believe that they may have used a slightly slower memory module on that particular model of 4890.

I also wouldn't spend the extra money for the model that comes with the game. Your paying for that game if you buy it, trust me.

Fair enough:D I didn't even notice that there was no mem info, my bad. I have played that game and you are right, not worth $10 but I was thinking for reselling purposes. Good catch Slaymate, I retract my suggestion!

Well nothing else is easy in my life, so I don't know why I thought this was going to be . lol.

Ok so forget the game - unless re selling is the case - but even then.. umm leseee... ebay lists the game going for about $20 but thats for the "boxed" edition and not the one I'd be getting... so drop down at least $5 so... spend $10 more for a card to get a $15 sale - game , so -$5 for the card... bleh plus shipping and handling and the hassle -

Nope. not going with the game version - shipping and all that is too stupid around here to mess with unless you have to.

Could the 900mhz model just be a pre-clocked previous version?

Also the 900mhz version uses a 6 pin and 8 pin connector - with 2-6 pin to 4 pin adapters included - kinda big oversight there on the packaging.... the others use 2x6 pin connectors.

With no way to convert the 8pin connection around included... that's kinda odd of them

Looking here : Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I see the "cheapest" model only lists memory as "DDR" and not "GDDR" - possibly a Newegg blunder but may be something to it, and the "expensive" card lists a 6 pin and 8 pin power connector , but only a way to convert the 6 pin.

The in between 875Mhz model seems to be listed properly however is lacking some of the further details- but does come with a cheap-o game

I will need to research (or have you guys do it while I am at work) from the XFX site and look up the issues and see what's what that is going on down there. but for now it's time for me to look pretty and work a cruddy job.

Your sig says you have a Corsair TX750 power supply, it has (4) pci-e 6+2 pin connectors. That means you can use each connector as a 6 pin or an 8 pin. So you have all the connectors you'll need for (2) of the 900 Mhz cards without using any adapters. It sounds like your trying to talk yourself out of a good thing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom