Buying Monitor for Gaming - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Buying Monitor for Gaming

Hello, I'm having trouble deciding on a new monitor. I'm looking to spend no more than about $300. My dilemma seems to be deciding between the most massive monitor I can find and a balance between size and picture quality. To be honest, though, I can't say that I've ever used a monitor and actually thought the quality was bad so perhaps my eyes have low standards.

I've been looking at these three Hanns-G monitors in particular: - Computer Hardware,Hanns-G,LCD Monitors,1920 x 1200

Does anyone have any input? What are your recommendations for gaming?

Old 11-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Buying Monitor for Gaming

not too firmiliar with this HANNS company, but i have always used Samsung for my monitor and TV, in my opinion they make the best screens around. and they have a beautiful line of LED's , i have an LCD from them and i am very please and i have tried allot of brands but i always seem to come back to Samsung. - Computer Hardware,Monitors,LCD Monitors,SAMSUNG,$200 - $300,23" i use a 23" my self

`Core i7 950 || `Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Mobo
`Cooler Master V6 CPU Cooler || `G.Skill 1600Mhz 6gb DDr3
`Saphire Radeon HD 6870 1gb || `2x WD Caviar Black 640gb RAID 0
`Cooler Master HAF 922 || `Corsair 750HX PSU
Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Buying Monitor for Gaming

Hey, thanks for the response. My current monitor is a Samsung and I've been very pleased with it, so those were the first monitors I looked at. I really wanted a resolution of 1920x1200, so I didn't give them much consideration since I would have had to go a bit above my budget to buy a 1920x1200 Samsung. However, I'm beginning to change my mind.

Now you've got me looking at - SAMSUNG 2443BWT-1 Black 24" 5ms Widescreen Height Swivel tilt & pivot Adjustable LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1 (1000:1)

It's more expensive and has a smaller screen than the Hanns-G monitors I was looking at, but probably produces a better picture. I also like the height adjustable stand. And judging from the pictures, the Samsung is a lot better looking. I'm still not sold on anything just yet because the 28" screen is tempting. Although I do have a question regarding resolution and screen size. How is picture quality affected when you increase the screen size by such a large amount without an increase in resolution? Will a 28" screen give a noticeably less sharp picture?
Closed Thread