Buying a mobo, CPU and RAM for ocing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenovices

Solid State Member
So, I am planning to build a new computer made for overclocking, but I don't know much about what parts to get for ocing.

I am set on getting an E2180, because i heard that its very good for ocing and its at a pretty cheap price. The main thing I am stuck on is choosing a mobo. I just know that the motherboard is supposed to have the same FSB as the CPU, but i just did some looking around and saw mobos with like 1333-1000MHz FSB. I was like... whoaa i thought CPUs are like only 200-400MHz ish. So I'm just a little confused about how to pick a mobo.

I also want to know what type of RAM would go well with overclocking the E2180. I don't want to get in a situation where the FSB:RAM ratio doesn't work out properly and I end up having to downclock my RAM so that it will run at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB.

So, I don't even know what the stock speed of E2180 is, I'm assuming, 200Mhz maybe? And how much could i clock it to? 300MHz is what I'm hoping for w/o cooling, but I have no idea. So if I had a FSB of 300MHz, shouldn't i just buy DDR2-600 instead of DDR2-800 so I don't waste money?

theres no ddr2-600 RAM, its usually better to take the best DDR2 800 ram, and then overclock it or underclock it, and u can have looser timings..

get the Crucial Ballistix ddr2-800 kit... stock speed of e2180..2.0ghz.. 10x Multiplier..

hmm yeah i'll get the DDR2-800 then.

But what mobo should i get? 650i? P35? i have no idea.

wait till the end of the month there is soem new stuff coming out by nvidia and maybe the x38 boards will drop in price fror xmass sales. there is also teh amd option the 5000+ oc's quite a bit from 2.6 up to 3.4 with just an adition of 0.05 volts and there comparable to e6550's if not more, you can do the same with the intel e2180 to, it all really depends on whats cheaper, the 5000+ is easyer to oc cause it has an unlocked multiplier, but im sure you can tweak the fsb a litle to get a higher increase. the p35 mobos are very good for ocing if your not going to go sli.

yeah, i'll go get some stuff on blackfriday.
i'm looking at OCZ 2GB RAM sticks. It has a$35 rebate, so its pretty cheap right now.

I think the best budget overclocking setup is: e2180 | Gigabyte DS3R | Crucial ballistix ddr2 800mhz 2gb. All that shipped for under $290.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom