buying laptop LOOK THIS OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmammen

Self Proclaimed Immortal
buying a laptop for college to use and game on.

dont worry bout the battery, i always plug in an AC adapter.

two setups.

which would you get?

Xtreme latop setup- cost- 2400$$

17" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Super Wide Angle Glass View LCD

nVIDIA GeFORCE Go 7800 GTX with 256MB DDR 3 VideoRAM

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+ Processor with HyperTransport™ and Dual Core Technology

1024MB 400MHz DDR RAM (2 DIMMS)

80GB SATA 150 HDD 5400 RPM

8X DVD±R/RW Burner with 4X Dual Layer Write Speed

12 Cell Smart Li-Ion Battery

SPECIAL! Windows XP Home SP2 with Drivers and Utilities CD

802.11G 54Mbps Mini PCI Internal

Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio

Alienware setup- cost- 2500$

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile ML37 2.0GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache

Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD with Clearview Technology

Alienware® NVIDIA® Mobile SLi Chipset

1GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB

80GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache

8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW & 24X CD-RW Burner w/Software

256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

High-Definition Audio with surround sound

Internal 802.11b/g WiFi Card

Alienware® m9700 12-cell Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack

go for the 1st one. but why a laptop if you're going to keep it constantly plugged in?

if you plan on taking notes or actually using it's portability then i understand...but otherwise you can get a much better computer for cheaper.

EDIT: well the link i put here doesn't work...basically the computer had:
4600x2 AMD processor
2GB or DDR2-800 ram.
7950 GT (best single slot video card out)
250GB Hard drive
a CD/DVD drive as well as another one w/ dual layer recording
a 1680x1080 (guess as to resolution) Wide Screen display.
__
i hope that link works...that'd be pre-built and everything. That desktop is better than most people's here. If you'd be willing to build a computer (which isn't all that hard.) then you'd be able to save about $700 and get the same thing.

ALSO if you're in college now or will be very soon then i'd opt out of getting windows w/ the computer. Universities usually sell windows for very cheap at their computer/bookstore. (i got Windows XP Pro and Pro 64-bit a roughly $270-300 value bundled for only $5.) so that's something else to consider.

You could add another gig of ram to the first laptop w/ the money saved from OS.
___
EDIT: don't get either of those two laptops. get this one from xtreme. (it's under centrino but the processors are brand new and way better than the current AMD's out there)

17" WUXGA (1900 x 1200) Super Wide Angle Glass View LCD

nVIDIA GeFORCE Go 7900 GTX PCI-E with 512MB DDR 3 VideoRAM

Intel® T5600 (1.83GHz x 2) Core 2 Duo CPU with 2MB On-Die L2 Cache 667MHz FSB

1024MB DDR2 667MHz RAM 2 DIMM

80GB SATA 150/HDD 5400 RPM

8X24X10X24 DVD/CDRW Combo Drive

Windows XP Home SP2a with Drivers and Utilities CD - FREE D-Link Wireless Router W/Purchase

then everything else standard and it adds up to 2348 leaving you 150 left.

TRUST me this one is quite a bit better than those other two.

well i do need the laptop for portability and notes and stuff......but when i game in my apartment then i will have it plugged in of course
i like that second option

Intel Dual-Core mobile processors outperform all the AMD ones.

"However, compared to an Intel platform based on the Core Duo and the company's own GM 945 chipset, the combination of AMD CPU and ATI chipset is inferior in terms of battery time and multitasking performance. Therefore, under equal conditions, it can only be regarded as the second choice - if it is worth getting at all. The Core Duo 2, Intel's next generation of laptop processors is already at hand, and first measurements show that the Core Duo 2 is even more powerful while not consuming more power."

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/22/amd_dual_core_laptops_have_arrived/page19.html

you could also check out a cheap 12-15in laptop for mostly just word processing and internet (probably $500-750)and then getting a nice desktop for $1750-2000.

just another idea. i'm not trying to sell you on getting a desktop but they're more stable and stuff.

if you only want a laptop then seriously look into that one i posted a little bit ago. at least 9 out of 10 people here will tell you that's better. A 1.83 Core 2 Duo is roughly equal to an AMD Fx-62 (not quite but very comparible.) I'd suggest going C2D for the processor (cheaper, more powerful, and more energy efficient)

i didn't even see your sig until now. You could also just upgrade that computer if you're able to bring it w/ you. You'd save a lot of money going that route even if you only use the HD, OS, Case and maybe the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom