Buying a gaming desktop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy

Beta member
Hey everyone I have never had a gaming computer before I always thought 14 fps in WoW was good enough haha now that I have done a little research I realize that's not so good. So I am looking to buy a new desktop for gaming I will be playing WoW, SC2, Diablo 3 mostly but would like to start playing more games on a PC I have been looking at iBuypower/Cyberpower and made up this one and was wondering what you guys thought about it or if you know of any other places i should look *I do not want to build my own I want to buy*. So heres what i put together for around $1800 let me know your thoughts thanks!

Case
NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case - Black
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3820
Processor Cooling
Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-2011] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
Memory
16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 2GB - Single Card
Motherboard
[3-Way SLI] Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 -- 4x PCI-E x16, 6x SATA 6Gb/s
Power Supply
750 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
Primary Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive
[12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black
Flash Media Reader / Writer
12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
Network Card
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

$1,800 and no SSD? :wtf:

Like FC said it is a rig that will max any game today, though I would tweak it a bit.

Go for an i5 2500K processor, there is a minimal performance difference for gaming, but should save you a bit.
Also, I consider 16GB for a gaming rig overkill, 8GB will be more than enough.

16GB = 12GB RAMdisk and 4GB system memory. ;)

Yeah, drop it to a 2500K, and go with a less expensive mobo. You might go SLI one day, but doubtful. You are throwing money away on something you will not use. Take what you save and get an SSD for your OS.

16GB = 12GB RAMdisk and 4GB system memory. ;)

Yeah, drop it to a 2500K, and go with a less expensive mobo. You might go SLI one day, but doubtful. You are throwing money away on something you will not use. Take what you save and get an SSD for your OS.
Only games so far that really take advantage of faster speeds are BF3 and Skyrim. BF3 is too large for 12GB RAMdisk and Skyrim can be depending on the mods. Not worth the extra cost when you can get same performance off an SSD.

Hey all I did much more research and made some changes I also had my schedule change so now I have the time to try building my first rig myself, the only thing I didn't change that you guys suggested was going with the i5-2500k because now that I have time to build it myself I was able to adjust my budget and get an i7-2700k in there instead! So here is what I have come up with let me know what you guys think I appreciate it!

Case
HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 2700k
Processor Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 2GB - Single Card
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77