Buying a gameing rig NEED HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

inarmywpride

Solid State Member
Hey all ok my house burned down and i lost all my computers i had 2 custom built and one xps laptop, so the insurance should be giveine me around 5k for a new computer. I have looked and looked and looked around, i want to buy and not build again. So i think i am going to go with Vigor i have read really good stuff about them and price wise they are the best. So at first i was going to get 2 7950 gx2 but then after reading about it the only time that really helps if i am on a 30in mon. So i think i am going to get just the 1 7950. But i dont know if i should get the 7900gtx and run sli i have seen tests where those did better and i have seen tests where the 7950 does better. So i dont know what ever input you all can give would be great . So the last thing is a 2 part question, i want to get 4gb of ram, does xp still have a prob with 4gb i know for a while windows can run slower and can hate 4gbs. The 2nd part of the question is i am going to have the Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe nVidia nForce 4 SLI X 16 w/1066MHz FSB, i wanted to run this ram with it 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5 X 2 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (4 X 1024MB) but i dont know if the mb can support that high would i have to drop down to the 675 or 800mhz? Thanks for all the help i know this is long but i really just need some advice... here are the specs on the computer i want to buy
thanks
Cory

PROCESSOR Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor X6800 at 2.93GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4M Cache
RIG Vigor FORCE Screwless Chassis w/Aluminum Trim and TornadoTM Air Ventilation System
RIG COLOR Black
RIG STYLE Deep Blue Delta Window with lock
RIG COOLING Vigor MonsoonTM II TEC Active CPU Cooling Air Conditioner System with Triple 120MM Case Fan
RIG POWER Enermax nVidia-SLI Certified EG701 AX Noisetaker 600Watt Power Supply
RIG DIMENSIONS 8.00" Width X 22.00" Depth X 21.50" Height.
MB CORE LOGIC Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe nVidia nForce 4 SLI X 16 w/1066MHz FSB
MEMORY 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5 X 2 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (4 X 1024MB)
DATA HARD DRIVE 1 250GB S-ATA II 7200 RPM Hard Drive
HARD DRIVE COOLER 1 Vigor Surf Hard Drive Cooler w/dual fans
DATA HARD DRIVE 2 None.
HARD DRIVE COOLER 2 None.
RAID SETTING None.
VIDEO CARD (SLI SLOT 1) nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB @500MHz, DVI and TV Out
VIDEO CARD (SLI SLOT 2) None.
OPTICAL DRIVE 1 Internal Plextor PX740A 16X DVD+/-CDRW Rewritable Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 2 None.
RECORDING SOFTWARE Bundled DVD/CDRW Software
SOUND Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Retail Edition
NETWORK PORT Onboard Gigabit (10/100/1000Mbps) PCI Network Card
WIRELESS NETWORK PORT None.
I/O PORTS 1 Parallel, 1 Game/Midi, 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire and 10 USB ports
MONITOR None.
SPEAKERS None.
KEYBOARD Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard w/LCD
MOUSE Logitech G7 RF Wireless USB Laser Mouse
FLOPPY DRIVE 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
OPERATING SYSTEM Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
SERVICE 2Net Three Year Onsite Service

ive never hear off DDR2 1066 so i cant help you there but i can say that from what ive read i would go with 2x 7900gtx in sli. but really you should just get one 7900gt and then upgrade when dx10 comes. the 7900gt is a really good card and will hold you over for about 2 months when dx10 comes out

IMO......from all I have reas as well, I would not spend the money on SLi configuration unless you just have to have 2 cards to say you do. I think performance increase is rated at like 30% in SOME applications.
On the ram......not sure, did not look into it...go to Crucial.com and do a ram search for your mobo....or go to ZipZoomFly.com and choose mobo, then click on the tab "Corsair recommended Ram".
And why 4 gigs? If you have the money.....I guess it's ok. Windows can't utilize the benefit of having 4 gigs though. May help in the future with demanding apps or games. Are you an overclocker?
IMO...sound card.....unless you are running a recording studio or making tons of awesome music....the onboard 8 channel is pretty darn good.
The mouse....not bad. Have had a few issues with Laser mice though....batteries stop holding charge, signal comes and goes etc....go usb w/ a razer mouse or something.:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom