Buying - Dell XPS / Alienware - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it depends on how much you are planning to spend.
< $600 and a pre-built is nice, includes an OS, basic components and you get support for the whole rig.
> $800 and I'd say build your own, otherwise you're not getting the best bang for your buck.

This is controversial though, most people will probably say build your own no matter what.

This is true. I planned on building my next computer however I just don't feel up to it. I've been out of the loop for the last year and feel like I've lost a bit of knowledge. I'd rather spend the money and have nothing go wrong and easy, then spend the money and screw it up.

I was planning on getting the Dell XPS 8300.

I have to agree... a prebuilt isn't bad if you don't have anything. But I would have to say that Dell desktops S.U.C.K.!

BUT... what are you planning on doing with it? your average internet browse/light game or are you going to be like the vast majority of us on here and do some serious gaming?

Well pretty much an all-in-one. Gaming, browsing, email, graphic design, video editing, blu-ray, you name it I want it to be able to do it. I have a 5 year old computer that I bought pre-built for $500. Now it's too old, and broken and can't keep up to the pace programs nowadays need.

I'm not ashamed to say I use a Dell credit line for my laptops, so if you aren't restricted to that, I might suggest some builds from Cyberpower or ibuypower. At least with them, you might pay a little more, but you will get a better product. Even Acer or ASUS would be better... I would just stay away form the big 3: Dell, HP, and Gateway. All 3 build cheap and mass produce, hence why the Gov't has contracts with them all.

This is true. However I would say that Dell is by far much better than HP and Gateway which I like to think of just a pile of circuits and plastic glued together lol.

Is there any links you can provide that I can reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom