Buying Customized Gaming PC, Need Help Choosing Specs/Wireless Networking - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2006, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Buying Customized Gaming PC, Need Help Choosing Specs/Wireless Networking

I have an HP Photosmart 3310 All In One- It is currently hooked up with cables but it has wireless support. Where can I find out how to set it up wirelessly?

I am also buying a custom gaming PC. Can anybody reccomend me some good brands? I've been looking at CyberPower, VoodooPC, (but they're in Canada so shipping will be a lot...) Falcon-NorthWest, and WidowPC.

This PC will be used as a base or a bridge (depending on where we place it) for our WiFi network and will be used for World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 2, and word processing/slideshows/etcetera.

What kind of specs do I need to run these games? I am currently running 512 MB RAM and a 2.0 GHz Intel P4. I definitely need better than that as World of Warcraft is extremely laggy and choppy.

I DO NOT WANT TO BUILD. There is too much work involved with that like setting up OS, BIOS, etcetera.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

IF you want a solid network then why not buy a router/access point with an inbuilt modem. It is possible to use a pc to pc network but it puts more strain especially if you have 2/3/4 computers trying to use the internet through the "host" pc. I dont know where you live so i cant really recommend something (i live in the uk and have a linksys wag354g router which does all of the above and works like a gem - but its only available in the uk alst time i checked)

As for the pc itself it depends what your budget is.

For processor, any AMD Athlon 64 will be fine, but go for a dual core processor (X2 processor series) if you can afford it. (i have a 3000+ and it runs those games fine)

You want at least 1gb of RAM - there is a big improvement in performance from 512mb to 1gb of ram.

Video cards wise, if your on a tighter budget go for a 7600gt which offers good performance at a reasonable price. If you have more to spend then go for a 7900gt(x). Both those cards are Nvidia and will be offered by most custom pc sites i guess.

The rest of the specifications are really up to you, such as hard disk size (160gb +), cd/dvd writer drives, sound card, speakers/monitor (if you need them).

And i must remind you that building a PC is very easy and the people on this forum will help you should you get into difficulties.

AMD 3000+
2gb RAM
X800 PCI-e
80gb + 250gb WD HDDs
X-FI Xtreme Music
Old 05-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thank you. How do I determine how much watts my computer will use so I can get the right PSU? I know there was a link on this website or computerforums that helps to determine it, but it was outdated and did not have the newer processors, graphics cards, etc.

Do I need power protection or not? For the CyberPower I have three options: a 1000VA/700W uninterrupt power supply $150, a 1400VA/980W uninterrupt power supply $190, or an AVR voltage stabilizer $20. All three are Opti-UPS, whatever that is.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

whats with your signature

no one wants to see that lol
Old 05-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

just get a minimum 450W PSU, or if you can affored 500W+ no chance you'll run short on Watts if you go for that.. UPS Is for you'r choice..... if you have a lot of electricity shocks in you'r neighberhood then sure, get one.. I have a lot of electricity shutdowns so for me its a must, but some people just don't need it..

And dude, your signature.. its truly resentful, lol.
Closed Thread