To buy or not to buy - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
jfenwick's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,644
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default To buy or not to buy

That is the question.

On the fence on this one so hoping some angles/opinions here I've missed.

My brother in law is looking for an upgrade, he wants to spend the $$$ now and i'm wondering if he should pocket it for an i7 rig later, or atleast wait a little longer for prices to drop a bit more. He's got $700 to spend, no increase if he waits and he's giving his old stuff to my sister so no re-sale $$$.

He wants option 1, i told him to wait and upgrade to i7 (option 3):

Option 1)
Buy now q9550 + bundle deal at of evga 790i + 4 GB DDR3 4x1GB
(see link below) all under $700CAN

Option 2) -if he insists on upgrading his 775
-q9550 now, mobo later after prices drop more. Maybe a cheaper tri-SLI DDR2 mobo if he can find one. Pocket extra cash and upgrade in 2011 to whole new system or help towards his next 260.

Option 3)
- Get nothing now and wait till the last minute in June and get an i7 rig.

Here are some relevant facts:
- Wants a minimum three PCI-e rig that supports SLI (No arguing here...i know, i tried)
- He already has an evga 260 so no gpu upgrade needed
- He currently has an e5200 and an EP43 mobo, he says he doesn't really have any issues right now with the rig, he just wants to upgrade.

So, to sum up, he thinks by June he still won't be able to afford an i7 rig (mobo, RAM, cpu) or that what he would be able to get would be inferior to a q9550 quad and that the current 775 prices aren't going to go much lower. Here is the bundle he wants me to give him the go ahead on buying :P - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal EVGA 790I Ftw Digital Motherboard & 4GB DDR3-1866 RAM -UNASSEMBLED - eVGA-790i-digital-4GB In Canada.

I'll admit, it's a great price (here in CAN $$$) but i'm thinking they'll still drop lower if he waits a couple of months. 775 is far from dead, IMHO. And if he insists on upgrading everything now why not go with this board instead:

Is DDR3 support worth the extra $100?

Anyways, that's it. I think he's nuts and I believe prices should have dropped enough by June/July that for $600-$700 he can get an i7 rig considering all he needs is ram, cpu and mobo. but he's got the upgrade itch, help me convince him.

jfenwick is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Pinscher's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,538
Default Re: To buy or not to buy

There is a possibility prices could drop low enough for an i7 rig. It is still very new though.

DDR3 on s775 is not worth it. None of the cpus really take advantage of it.

If he doesn't have any problems with what he has now, just tell him to wait. Why won't he have any more money in a couple months? Not even like $100 more?

Pinscher is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
jfenwick's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,644
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Re: To buy or not to buy

Budget, he's got a kid due in July so they need to buy house and that stuff that comes with a new baby. So the budget is the budge is the budget. He's still in school so they are living off my sister's income.

Yeah, I keep telling him to hold off, if it aint broke, don't fix it. But he's got the itch ever since he picked up his 260. End of June is still over 4 months away, prices have to come down atleast a little on the i7 rigs, and worse case scenario, if they don't the 775 prices aren't going to go up in that time. Right now, a conservative estimate without doing any real shopping around is CPU, mobo and 3GB RAM for an x58 system are around $800 CAN.
jfenwick is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
patonb's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,737
Default Re: To buy or not to buy

Couldn't he just hit up the weekly deals night?

Theres usualy tons of awesomme deals... like my nbfg 260-216 for 240 bucks.
Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
jfenwick's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,644
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Re: To buy or not to buy

Missing mean just watch for sales? Yeah, but the q9550 isn't cheap so he's still looking at $500+ for a good deal on 775 upgrade and hopefully by june sales prices on i7s would drop them down to his range.
jfenwick is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To buy or not to buy? Need some suggestions and recommendations SuxoR Laptops and Notebooks 2 01-15-2009 11:56 AM
Best Buy Offering Gift Cards To HD-DVD Owners Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 1 03-19-2008 12:36 PM
Best Buy loses laptop, gets sued superdave1984 Off Topic Discussion 7 02-13-2008 06:20 PM
Buy GT or wait??? <[MaTT]> New Systems | Building and Buying 24 12-16-2007 04:46 AM
Best Buy or - Saitek Eclipse II atomic tofu Off Topic Discussion 8 10-26-2007 03:33 PM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.