Buy or Make for Architecture Student

Status
Not open for further replies.

ela00

Beta member
Hi All - I am new to this forum, so if I commit any faux-pas let me know kindly!

I'm heading back to grad school in a couple of weeks and still haven't done anything about a new computer. Here's what I'm looking for, and would really appreciate any comments:

Desktop PC $2000-2500 (including cost of 2 monitors)
Mainly for graphics-oriented and 3D work.

Software I use include Rhinoceros (with Grasshopper/Flamingo), Microstation/Autocad, ArcGIS, Adobe CS3/4/5.

My 3D models are generally pretty intense/intricate, and I tend to work in Illustrator much more than Photoshop.

My school has a pretty good deal on a Dell Precision T3500 Workstation - $1650 for a model that includes:
Windows 7 Professional 32-bit with Media
Intel Six Core Xeon W3680 (3.33GHz 12M cache)
256MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 (1 DP & 1 DP to DVI)
4GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
(2) 320GB 7200rpm 3.5" Hard Drives
16X DVD+/-RW with Roxio & Cyberlink PowerDVD
3-yr warranty + keyboard/mouse

about $700 of upgrades will get me (2) 19" monitors, 512MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420, 6GB memory...

Is that a good deal? Does anyone recommend building instead? It would be my first build, but I'm a pretty competent person!

Thanks all.

Looks likea decent system. Couple things I'm not a fan of...

1. The processor - It's like $70 more expensive than the I7-980X 6core extreme and it doesn't come with a Heatsink and Fan. They both are basically the same processor according to some of the bench marks I've seen.

2. The OS - You need Windows 7 64 Bit.

3. Graphics Card - I would definately suggest getting a better Graphics card like the radeon 5700 series or 4800 series.

4. Ram - It's alright but you may wanna go for 1600Mhz and possibly the 6gb triple channel stuff by either Corsair or G.skill.

5. Harddrive - It would be nice if you went SSD but not nessecary. I would seriously check out the WD 1tb 6GB/s harddrive or the 2TB seagate 6gb/s harddrive. Both great quality.

If you were to change the following you're looking at a $2000-$2200 system without monitors. Plus you will want to upgrade your PCU as they aren't usually the greatest in prebuilt systems.

Just my suggestions. Building your own computer definately takes a lot of browsing and comparing also checking reviews and stuff. Hopefully my insight helped a bit.

You could probably do a bit better on the graphics cards, while Quadro may be better for professional apps, 256/512MB is a thing of the past and won't work well for large amounts of textures and/or model geometry. You might be better off with a regular gaming card that has more RAM (1 or 2GB GeForce GTX470/480 or ATi Radeon HD5870). The 6 core CPU is nice and generally worth around $1000 alone (for the Core i7 branded one) plus a $200 motherboard, $150 RAM, graphics, case/psu/etc but for the 6 core series (LGA1366) you want triple channel RAM. 4GB of RAM isn't ideal for triple-channel memory controllers as it is a dual-channel set (2 sticks). Go with either 6GB or 12GB as these are sets of 3 (3x2GB or 6x2GB). You will also want Windows 7 64 bit as the 32 bit version can't address more than 4GB of RAM (including memory mapped I/O, graphics RAM, etc) so it is more like 3GB that you can use.

I would strongly recommend building your own (as pretty much anyone here would agree) because you can customize every little thing and get more performance by overclocking.

I would go with a 6-core i7 (or the 4 core, my 930 handles everything I throw at it just fine, don't know if 6 core CPU is really necessary). If you're doing large modeling or editing you may want the extra RAM so consider 12GB, 6GB is plenty for a gaming build and it really depends on exactly how intricate your models are.

I would go with a high end graphics card with at least 1GB RAM. My Radeon HD5870 is good for gaming but a GTX480 might be better for your needs. There are software mods to convert GeForce cards into their Quadro equivalents as they use the same chip with different BIOS/driver features. To be honest a card that powerful shouldn't even need to be a professional workstation card to function adequately.

If you go with the ATI Radeon HD 5 series cards you can use up to 3 monitors on Eyefinity. This feature allows you to use 3 monitors either as individual displays or one extended display and can render full-screen 3D to the extended display across 3 monitors for a widescreen gaming experience (may be useful for other things too). If you do go this route you can get 3 cheaper monitors instead of 2 for even more screen real estate.

My build cost $1600 after everything (including Corsair H50 water cooler) and runs anything I throw at it. I then spent $450 on 3 Dell st2210 monitors for a total of $2050 for an incredible gaming setup. I've used some 3D design applications (mainly game editing stuff like Valve Hammer and Blender) but it renders just fine.

This is fantastically helpful, thank you both!

I did realize that I can upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit for no cost.

I am starting to think that building would be easier in terms of getting exactly what [i think] i want.

I am curious also if anyone thinks I can do well with something that tops out at $1600? Sucks to be a poor student again. CalcProgrammer, seems like your gaming setup is good. I never do professional-quality realistic renders. I have a friend who's a video game designer with an architecture degree who insists that spending $800 tops will get me everything I need...

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom