Buy a high end grafix card now or wait for the ones that will come out with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that your wait will be rather long, due to the release of Vista being moved to after the Christmas holiday season.

m3incorp said:
You do realize that your wait will be rather long, due to the release of Vista being moved to after the Christmas holiday season.
Like I said I'm not waiting for Vista. I'm just trying to determine if I should buy a high end 7900 series card now or wait until the new DX10 cards come out. I realize the wait for those will be 1-2 years so I'm trying to see which way is the most economical for me.

I have the money but I'm paying for it myself and there's a big price difference between the two cards. Besides I'm not convinced that somebody would buy a two year old graphics card from me for any decent amount of money. How much would you buy a 5900 Ultra for today? It doesn't matter that it cost $300 when it was new, you can buy a $100 card that gives you better performance today. I'm thinking an OCed 7600gt is probably my best bet right now.

Were talking sell it when G80 comes out. It wont be that old and ppl are still paying 200 for a 6800ultra. Go figure. Even better, ppl are stil paying 150 for a 9800pro.

BioT3ch said:
Vista will not work with DX9 just as DX10 won't work with XP. Vista will have some sort of compatability mode for running DX9 games, but we all know how well it worked in XP. Both DX9 and DX10 will co-exist for some time during the transition, which is likely to take 6 months to a year.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/04/11/april_direct3d_update/
I've read somewhere that on first release, Vista will ship with some version of DX 9.0 (I think d) and after DX 10 is released, Vista will then start to ship with that

I also heard somewhere that DX 10 might not actually be called DX 10, its name will be Windows Graphics Foundation (WGF), but don't quote me on that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom