Buy a high end grafix card now or wait for the ones that will come out with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
I'm in the process of putting together my new system. I've been talking with my dad and one of his friends about graphics cards and they both seem to agree that instead of getting a 7800/7900 video card now, it would be wiser to buy something more like a 7600gt and wait for the new crazy powerful graphics standards (DX10 and all) that will come out with Windows Vista. Vista is going to have high graphics requirements just for itself, and the cards that will be coming out now are supposed to blow all of the current stuff away. I'm looking at taking their advice but I wanted to know what the ppl on TF think of this.

I agree, go with a 7600gt, that should tide you over more than enough until the new graphics cards come out. Most of the time waiting isnt a good idea because there is always something to wait for, so it is a good thing that you are getting a good video card to tide you over. I wouldn't recommend anything below that.

yeah... just go lower and save up the money although ur dad buy for you... then after the new graphic card come out then u just get it....

I heard rumours that Vista's release date may be pushed to 2007. Who knows? I'd go with the 7600GT as it will suit you fine.

Make sure you have 2+GB of RAM if you do get Vista because it is a huge memory hog. XP usually uses something like 250MB of RAM if you have the headroom but Vista is set to eat 800MB RAM by itself. So if a person just wants to use Vista smoothly they would need 1GB, but if you plan on gaming you would need 2GB. This is also another reason why I'm not gettting Vista at launch.

standard XP can only utilise 2gb properly and can recognise up to 3gb. server and x64 can recognise more. at the moment it is irrelevant because most motherboards do not support more than 4gb. i think the way microsofts OS becomes more bloated every incarnation is pathetic. honestly if these figures of vistas memory usage are accurate it is down right pathetic.

apokalipse said:
Vista will work with DX 9.
besides, it won't be released for a while yet

Vista will not work with DX9 just as DX10 won't work with XP. Vista will have some sort of compatability mode for running DX9 games, but we all know how well it worked in XP. Both DX9 and DX10 will co-exist for some time during the transition, which is likely to take 6 months to a year.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/04/11/april_direct3d_update/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom