Burning up? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
MUG
Newb Techie

Default Burning up?

Ok bought new comp parts a day or two ago, yet i'm having a few issues.

Antec p180b
Core duo 6600 with stock cooler
Asus P5N-E-SLI
2 gig of G.Skill (800mhz)
DVD Burner
2x Sata 7200rpm
Albatron 8800gtx
Coolermaster igreen power 500watt SLI ready

Nothing has been overclocked. I've got all the 3 fans in the case on high and a big industrial fan aimed right in front of the open case. So you'd think it would be cooler in there? Not exactly because even those temps seem ok, when i play a game like oblivion or heroes 5, the **** really hits the fan (no pun intended!) it'll either freeze up or reset (when it resets i get a blue screen error, but before i can read it it boots up *frustrating*)

This is what Speedfan thinks when i'm sitting here typing pretty much idle on the net with all my fans on. Usually looks about the same when i alt+tab from a game, until it randomly does its hissy fit.

Somehow i dont think its accurate as its allover the place, reckons my cpu fan is at 46000 somtimes? Is this a problem with my motherboard? The temperatures show up as temp1, temp2 and so forth. What is temp3? constantly a temp of 25degrees, never goes up or down?

Harddrives are all good, doesnt explain the heat though? What is a good heat for hd? sometimes they go up to 58degrees without my fans on high.

Now i'm running this all in an Antec p180b case with an Coolermaster iGreen Power SLI power supply. Power supply should be adequate according to http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp get about 410W

*note system is even hotter when i put the case cover on. I'm putting this down to poor circulation? but isn't the p180 meant to be good for just that? is it maybe the 8800gtx, it being so big and close to the south bridge (doesn't have a fan which is a worry) that something's overheating? BUT WHAT?

meh. I'm taking votes that its the cpu trying to handle the graphics in the big games.. if so whats a good third party cooler that will actually fit? that heatsink is a pain...

Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to BoysNightOut

Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler?
What PSU do you have exactly?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
There and Back again

don't trust speed fan... when you restart your system go into the bios and read off from there what it says... I have the E6300 and it sits between 36-38C with aftermarket cooling... with stock 40-45C would be about normal... get an aftermarket cooler. (ZALMAN 9500) It will not only help the CPU but the hot Northbridge heatsink your talking about in your pic.

Hard drives... they are going to get hot with lots of use.... as long as you don't have massive lag/load times and they are not grinding your good... you have a good system with decent cooling, but don't forget; these are all parts that produce a ton of heat. so room temps shouldn't be expected all the time.

when any of the temps get over 50-55C with any use (idle or load) then it's time to worry. but it's good to be concerned about it though. at leaast your watching them.

As for the freezing, it sounds to me as possibly a corrupt OS, than temps issues. Well, maybe the PSU, but I doubt it.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Freezing could be CPU heatsink issues...PSU power loss issues...could be a ton of things lol.

First off though, since it's a new system and there's not much on it anyways yet I hope, I'd try a rebuild of the OS first and eliminate the software portion first, then go towards searching for faulty hardware. That's what I'd do at least.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
MechEng Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to cwiz

the direction of the fans blowing is important. the front and side (if u'v got one) fans should be blowing in, the back and top (if u'v got one) blowing out.
Did you put thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu? is the heatsink secured firmly on the cpu?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'd hope the fans are blowing the right direction lol.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
MUG
Newb Techie

Heya the cpu has the stock cooler on it, which came with the paste as it was new out of the box. I've checked that its secure, first time i tried to loadup it actually wasnt on properly (one of the black secures had come a bit out even though i swear it clicked in lol!). As for that zalman cooler, looks pretty good but would it actually fit over the heatsink?

ok the top and the back fans are blowing out, the bottom fan i've realised is actually blowing at the powersupply and thats all the fans i've got. How exactly do you change the direction of the fans? :\

Anyway heres my bios on hardware management, i left it sitting for about 10 minutes so the temps would stabalise:

Vcore 1.29v
3.3V 3.28v
5v 4.83v (this voltage sometimes changed from 4.8 to 4.83)
12v 12.16v

CPU = 42degrees
Motherboard = 48degrees
CPU FAN = 1885

Also I cant open cpu-z properly, says error loading driver? It doesnt display all the cpu info, nor the ram, SPD or motherboard.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
j12
Monster Techie

is the northbridge chipset heatsink really that hot, if it is that hot that could be your problem.

Laptop:
MacBook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa | 120GB HDD | 4GB ram
Desktop:
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.2GHz | 4GB ram | 880GB total HDD space | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | eVGA 8800GTS 640mb | Corsair HX 520 | Audigy 2 ZS platnium | Antec 900
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'd advise against using the stock cpu heatsink for sure. That could play a big role in effectiveness of your system as a whole.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

delete cpu-z and download it from another site.
it sounds like to me as well that your os is most likely corrupt.
to change ther direction of the fans...you simply turn them around. ie if you have a fan that blows air into your case and you want it to blow out, spin it on it's vertical axis 180*.
i re read your post. how long ws it before you noticed the hsf was not on properly?