Bummer, blue screen of death ( suggestions? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So yeah put together my system ( the e6600 with ASUS P5N-E 650i ) with the 2 gigs of g.skill and 8800 gtx ( have vista premium btw ). Was incredably hard to install the gtx ( had to re-arrange the wires and retie em down, but after a few hours more of being very careful I finally got it without snapping my gtx in half. Booted up, all the fans working, everything seemed good, smelled a little funky ( dunno if it was smoke or just the strong smell of the cpu parts when blown since the side was open ). Browsed around in Vista a little before shortly recieving the BOD.

Thought maybe it could be a Vista problem ( yes I know its bad ), tried to update windows, got another BOD. Then another, then another, sometimes I even got a BOD during bootup before the loading of Vista which led me to believe it to be a hardware problem. I strongly suspect the ram, cause 33% of the many many BODs I got that night were physical memory dumps and all that jazz. I probably got like 20 BODs in the 30 minutes I used my computer, so yeah theres a definite problem. Although I did manage to get most Vista updates before getting the BODs.

Today I plan to try my old 512 stick of pc6400 to determine if it is indeed the ram, but for now I have to go to work. To be honest I really hope the problem lies in the ram, and isn't something more important. My thermoelectric cooler ( vigor gaming monsoon ) also sometimes completely stops spinning during operation ( I have no idea wether or not this is normal ).

My guess would be the RAM too. Let us know how it goes after you get home from work.

the pc i'm on now had the same screen. after a day of installing XP, it's fixed.

mine wasn't the ram though. the pc got a trojan horse, but it's gone now. :)

easiest way to fix blue screen of death is often just a simple sledgehammer to the screen. apply with tapioka. that way it wont be showing that ghastly blue ever again.

if you arent in possession of tapioka then ill just repeat what everyone else has said and try some more ram. i know, original

there is the possibility of a trojan horse.... like olli mentioned... scan ur system b4 using the RAM.... but i also got a memory error when i swtiched hard drives with XP installations on it, did u do the same for Vista???

Update status report:

Took the 2nd stick out, computer hasnt got a BOD for about 30 mins, updated windows drivers ( couldn't install some Vista drivers for some reason, gave me error #s that they didn't have help for ). Hopefully I can still do some tests, but I strongly suspect one of the rams was causing the BOD.

Ive had the same prob with a stick of ram, id say be carefull as mine ended up corrupting my BIOS, the ram was definatly the cause as it did exactly the same in another sytem i used to test it (minus the bios coruption).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom