Built my wife a PC

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Got my wife's PC build done last week and forgot to post specs/pics.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-870
Motherboard: Intel DP55WB
Cooler: Stock Intel HSF
RAM: 8GB G.Skill RipJaws + 2GB Samsung Generic
SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO
HDD: 2TB Samsung
GPU: EVGA GTX 970
Case: Antec 900
PSU: 700w OCZ GameXStream

Imgur album: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I cut out part of the motherboard tray because eventually I'd like to put an AIO cooler, so now I can do that without having to take the board out. Then I lined the cutout with some vinyl weatherstripping I got from an auto parts store (and made the notches in it so it was more bendable).

Also, thanks Nukem for the CPU/board :D.

Looks awesome! Congrats on her new build... Hope it serves as well, if not better, than it did my wife.

and now you have the freedom to have a laptop again? :p

Thanks - I could have done better on the cable management but with that old Antec 900...it's hard. I should have cut out some additional ducts for cables on the motherboard tray, but I was lazy lol.

@Nukem: yes, now I can have my gaming laptop back if I need it for mobile gaming :p. Just need to make sure she has all of her data off of it, then I'll wipe it and start fresh.

That molex setup is a hazard waiting to happen. I'd upgrade those to 3pin and a fan controller asap. You could always do what I did to my old Antec 1200.

Hazard how? The daisy-chain?
Although I doubt the fans even come close (like 0.5a a pop), but the max amperage of a molex cable is 11a, not including impedance. Corrosive could explain more about the pains and limitations of molex. Typically the biggest issue with chaining like that is losing connection for no reason at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ran it like that when I first built it back in 2007, and it ran it damn near 24/7 for about 3 years. Fans are all on either low or medium speed.

I'd be concerned if there was something on that molex chain that requires clean and constant power (e.g. if you were splitting it to a 6-8 pin power for a graphics card), but if it's just fans then meh :p

Back
Top Bottom