Building System, Stuck on Motherboard etc. - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 2,724
Default Re: Building System, Stuck on Motherboard etc.

this is a good priced one

Newegg.com - HIS H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ4 Turbo Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
__________________

Muffin Man is offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 25
Default Re: Building System, Stuck on Motherboard etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaricloud View Post
Get this stuff:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

That plus your Scout and the i7 should equal out about 600 bucks. You'll need to spend more if you want a video card...I thought you already had one. You don't need a sound card, either.

Win7 has 32 and 64bit, yes.
Thank you for the info. Sorry for the confusion, what is the Scout? About the video card, I will most likely stick with what I got, but do you think I would need to upgrade to watch movies, play music etc?

About Win7 the one that I purchased at Amazon.com, how do i know if it is 32 or 64bit? I will probably have to send out an email to find out.

Do you think I made the right move by buying the upgrade Win7 or should I have went the Vista route?

This is what somebody else said, do you agree?

"I can tell you that it probably wasn't a good idea to order the Windows 7 Pro upgrade. It requires you to have an existing copy of XP or Vista in order to install it. If you had gotten a copy of Vista Business, then you would get the same upgrade package for free, and it would actually work. But most people really don't need the features of Vista Business or Windows 7 Pro, so I'd have recommended getting Vista Home Premium, and then you'd get the free upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium.

So, you should cancel your amazon.com order, then decide whether you're going to order Vista Home Premium now and get the free upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or you're going to stick with Windows 7 RC, then get a non-upgrade version (OEM or retail) of Windows 7 once it is released. Either way, you'll end up paying about the same."


I am getting mixed reviews on what I should do.
__________________

rocknje is offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Nubbleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston/San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 837
Send a message via AIM to Nubbleet Send a message via MSN to Nubbleet
Default Re: Building System, Stuck on Motherboard etc.

Yes, you shouldn't have ordered the Windows 7 Upgrade. It requires that you have a previous version of Microsoft. You can most likely cancel your pre-order. Just contact Amazon about it and tell them that you need to cancel it, and they should refund you the money. What I was trying to say last night, was to get Windows 7 RC, which is the release candidate, and you can use that fully functionable up until spring next year.

The windows 7 RC has nothing to do with the Upgrade that you pre-ordered. If you google Windows 7 RC you'll come up with this. Just read that and you can decide then. But if you used that until it came out, it would be easier than getting an upgrade from vista, because you'll receive an upgrade copy, which from what I know requires you to have previous versions of windows installed and it makes it harder to reformat than just popping a full windows 7 cd in the drive and going from there. Also you'd have that extra $100 lying around until then.
__________________
4670K @ 4.4GHz 1.18v | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 8GB G. Skill 1866 | 128GB Crucial M4 | 750GB WD Caviar Black | MSI 7850 Twin Frozr | Megahalems | 650TX | CM690
Nubbleet is offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballer044 View Post
Yes, you shouldn't have ordered the Windows 7 Upgrade. It requires that you have a previous version of Microsoft. You can most likely cancel your pre-order. Just contact Amazon about it and tell them that you need to cancel it, and they should refund you the money. What I was trying to say last night, was to get Windows 7 RC, which is the release candidate, and you can use that fully functionable up until spring next year.

The windows 7 RC has nothing to do with the Upgrade that you pre-ordered. If you google Windows 7 RC you'll come up with this. Just read that and you can decide then. But if you used that until it came out, it would be easier than getting an upgrade from vista, because you'll receive an upgrade copy, which from what I know requires you to have previous versions of windows installed and it makes it harder to reformat than just popping a full windows 7 cd in the drive and going from there. Also you'd have that extra $100 lying around until then.
I cancelled it and went with the Vista 64 with free upgrade to Win 7. Thank you. To let you know. I am starting a new thread to finalize my build. Look below.

Thank you all for your help so far. I am starting a new thread to help finalize my build. Check it out and whenever you get a chance, please give me your final thoughts. Sorry if this is repetitive, but I am doing this because it will help me finalize my thoughts.

New Thread - Computer Build, need your help!! Trying to Make my final decision

Jeff
__________________

rocknje is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm Back and Building a New System :) Slam'n Systems New Systems | Building and Buying 18 05-22-2009 04:13 PM
First Time Build(er), Mainstream/Enthusiast System, 1000 (UK) Jewels New Systems | Building and Buying 18 04-21-2009 11:39 AM
Building new system but which CPU? / Suggestions welcome. vikenk System Upgrades 17 04-08-2009 01:35 PM
Building a system - Linux base, multiple VMwares fl703 New Systems | Building and Buying 7 02-12-2009 05:42 PM
Building Phenom II System SiZcO New Systems | Building and Buying 23 01-28-2009 05:38 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.