Building System, Stuck on Motherboard etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknje

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am building a new system and I am not sure which route to take in terms of which motherboard, processor etc. Here is some info on what I am building a computer for...I am building this computer for music production and not gaming. Software I use is FL Studio and Protools as well as plugging in instruments to the computer for recording. I need a computer system that won't bogg down when I have all these softwares and plug-ins open.

I won't be overclocking, unless necessary. I would like to get the Core i7 processor, but not sure if I should go for it or not. Should I go the AMD Route? It seems more affordable to go for the AMD Route. If I go with the AMD I am thinking about this Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Then comes to the motherboard. I am really not sure which one to decide on. Here are a few brands I have been looking at are EVGA, Gigabyte and ASUS. What about other brands like Intel, Foxconn, MSI, DFI?

When it comes to memory should I stick with DDR2 or DDR3?

I have some wish list categories.

Jeff's Computer Build = Stuff I already have and purchased { Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg }

Jeff's Future Build = Stuff I am thinking about buying. { Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg }

Other Case Considerations = Other cases I am thinking about. { Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg }

So, I still need Motherboard, Processor, Sound Card, Memory. I am looking to spend $500more, but no more than $600. Few notes: For the Case, I am leaning towards the Azza Solano 1000 and for the Video card I bought from Best Buy the VisionTek HD 4350 ATI Radeon Video Card, should I keep or upgrade it?

For Sound card people have recommended M-Audio an EMU for music production, What do you guys think?

Thank you very much for your time

I'll let others more capable comment on your build, but I'd like to let you know - in case you don't already - that you can download Windows 7 RC for free and use it until March 1st, 2010 before the bi-hourly shutdowns. I'm using it right now to write this post.

I'll let others more capable comment on your build, but I'd like to let you know - in case you don't already - that you can download Windows 7 RC for free and use it until March 1st, 2010 before the bi-hourly shutdowns. I'm using it right now to write this post.

Thank you for letting me know. Is this a beta version? Is it 32 or 64bit? Is this compatible with software etc? How do you like it? Worth the upgrade right now? Any problems?

A lot of us have been replacing Vista with that RC or just using it to start as a placeholder for Windows 7. Its a safe place in your build where its ok to cut corners on, and you can save the money for Windows 7 later on when you have more money.

It also allows you to adapt to Windows 7 if you've never used Vista or it before, so you aren't completely lost when you get it in October :)

Thanks everyone on this issue. Sweet. That is what I will do. How can I download and get the 64bit version or should I stick with 32bit? Through Microsoft.com website or microsoft update?

You guys are definitely not having any problems with it?

I won't be overclocking, unless necessary. I would like to get the Core i7 processor, but not sure if I should go for it or not. Should I go the AMD Route? It seems more affordable to go for the AMD Route.

I definitely think you should go with an i7 920 system. Your looking for somthing that can multi-task and has tons of memory bandwidth. The i7 is the Winner hands down. And while you won't be overclocking, it is a cheap upgrade later down the road with a decent heatsink (which can be added later). I'll recommend the EVGA X58 LE as it's a full featured more valued minded board than the std. EVGA X58 or you should look at the Asus P6T.

Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And the OCZ DDR3 1600 Platinum isn't on sale anymore but the OCZ DDR3 1600 Gold is almost as good and it has a good price still.

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom