Building a server

iLock

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I built a gaming computer several months ago and it all went well thanks to the help of some experts here :) Right now I'm thinking of building a server computer for basic file transfer, printing and streaming, nothing too fancy.

I've done some research and I've chosen Ubuntu Server as the OS, mainly cause it's free. (Any other better recommendations?)

The problem I have now is that I don't know what components I need. Some sites say you can use an old PC since it doesn't require much power for a server, but just for fun, I want to buy separate parts and just build one. Any recommendations on parts?

My budget is: $300-$500

Thanks in advance for the help!

So a normal pc motherboard will work as well? How does it compare with a server mobo?

Server motherboards are literally the same thing until you get into the higher end systems. You can even run Xeon chips on some desktop boards. That's why people were telling you that old PC parts will be fine because a personal file server is literally a regular computer sitting there with shared drives with the possibility of running a different OS like Unix or Linux.

If you want to make it look "kind" of like a server you can buy rack mountable cases that utilize ATX standards. But that's kind of a waste of money.

So a mobo, case, chip and RAMs are all I need? Am I missing anything else?

Thank you very much! You helped me twice now! :D My gaming pc is working perfectly fine!

Back
Top Bottom