Building a Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
What kind of hardware would be required to build a server that could support 1200 websites comfortably? And I think the max ISP bandwidth we can get here is 100mbit...

What kind of OS do you use? How do you manage it? Any suggested sites/articles to check out to get more info about this?

FreeBSD or some Linux distro, _NOT_ Windows Server.

You'll definatly need some sort of Blade server for that, not an average dual core.

anyone who ever runs a server who serves websites knows windows servers are great, but not great for running websites. linux servers are alot more efficient, secure, and easier to manage (if you know what you're doing).

IIS is useless, Apache web server is alot better, and runs better on linux.

I don't think a standard windows server 2003 license will allow you to run 1200 websites anyway.

Cool. Anyway...a comfortable limit would actually be 2000 sites.

If I were to build a custom server instead of buying one.....what kind of hardware would i go for? A couple opterons? A couple conroes? How many gig of ram? how many terrabytes of storage?

If you have enough money get like two dual-core opterons (socket940) and a couple gbs of ecc ram. Conroe isnt out yet and who knows if they are going to make a dual socket 775 mobo with correct north bridge. I would have atleast 4 terrabytes of space if they are big websites. My dad is running 50 large websites on only 80gb of hard drive space. But still comfortably run 2,000 websites by possibly yourself, good luck and I really do mean it! Good way to stress your computer as well as your internet connection.

would 2 dual cores be overkill?
I've been looking around and was thinking maybe:

Whats the rest of your dad's setup?

septoid2 said:

I don't think a standard windows server 2003 license will allow you to run 1200 websites anyway.

>.<

Linux is free, and so is Apache.

Thats a plus, should save you a good 500 bucks right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom