Building from scratch.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Building from scratch..

Okay, well, where to start off...

This is my first time building a computer, I've installed small things such as GPU's in old computers, but nothing of this magnitude. I've been told with instructions it is relatively easy and I don't need to worry too much about breaking anything.

I'm building this for these simple reasons:
  • Its cheap
  • I need a gaming PC, not a store-bought pos.

I've done a nice amount of research, spent hours reading reviews on pieces, ect.. and this is what I've come up with.

If there are any issues (not enough wattage, could overheat, ect.) please notify me, as I don't want to waste any money!

I've been informed that I would most likely need to purchase thermal paste and apply it on my processor, would this be correct?

All suggestions are appreciated and will be looked into, and I thank anyone taking the time to help.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Default Re: Building from scratch..

You could use a cpu cooler for that Kuma, the AMD black editions come with crappy fan and heatsink.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
And it comes with TX-2 thermal paste.

Secondly, don't use a power supply that comes with a case. They are low quality, especially one from HEC.
This will do:
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei View Post
I've been informed that I would most likely need to purchase thermal paste and apply it on my processor, would this be correct?
You won't need to, but it's highly recommended. Also, are you considering overclocking?

I don't know much about HEC build quality - you might want to buy a power supply separate from the case so you know you're not getting a generic crappy power supply.

Edit: gt7 beat me, I agree with his choices.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

For clarification, there does need to be some TIM between the CPU and the heatsink. If the AMD CPU comes packaged with a basic cooler then the heatsink will have TIM pre-applied. If you buy an aftermarket cooler (which I recommend) you may need to buy TIM or some may be packaged with it, either way you will have to apply the paste to the top of the CPU yourself.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7sanremo View Post
You could use a cpu cooler for that Kuma, the AMD black editions come with crappy fan and heatsink.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
And it comes with TX-2 thermal paste.

Secondly, don't use a power supply that comes with a case. They are low quality, especially one from HEC.
This will do:
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Okay, rather than that case, I changed it to - Newegg.com - Rosewill R5601-BK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
and
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Is the sunbeam CPU Cooler needed, or would it just be nice? I'm trying to keep it around $600 max, I can go a little over, but that tops it a bit.

Also, is there a way to figure out the specs on my current hard drive, so I can figure out if I can just use this one for it?

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

I posted a build that cost $600 here:
TechRepublic's 2009 Salary Report

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom

You can use a program called Everest to see what your specifications of your whole rig are. Download the free one.

Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
Closed Thread