Building a PC, very very low budget, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
Basically I have been trying to play games on this computer, specs:

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.66 Ghz

1GB DDR2 Ram (have no idea which brand, nor do I care)

Nvidia Geforce 6200 256mb PCI

40GB HD.

Hp Motherboard, it's one of the medium sized computers that lay flat, and you see them mainly in schools or libraries. It runs some games fine, barely can run source engine games, and I thank the video card for that, but I want to move forward, and build a computer capable of running some newer games at good frame rates, like Left 4 Dead, Call Of Duty 4/5 Etc. So I have decided to start building.

Basically I am going to go to Compusa with about 235 dollars, and I am going to buy an Intel Core 2 Duo, either the 3.0 ghz or the 2.9 or the 2.8, really what ever they have in stock, as I am desperate, though the 2.9 and 2.8 are alot cheaper, I didn't even see the 3.0 in stock when I went. So after I spend about 170 dollars on the processor I will have about 65 dollars left to buy a motherboard, assuming that they in fact have a motherboard that cheap. I don't have a problem getting anything else, like the case, or ram, or hard drive, dvd/cd drive, etc. I just need some critical advice on this 235 dollar budget for my processor and motherboard.

Am I doing the right thing by buying a Core 2 Duo? Any suggestions or links to any motherboards you recommend? I also noticed I can buy them online, and it seemed like it was alot cheaper to do so. Any help would be appreciated.

Wait...your pentium 4 has DDR2 ram?

I was under the impression Pentium 4s had DDR1.

And, while Compusa is now owned by Tigerdirect, I'd still shop online.

About ayear ago I built my computer for under $300, so it can be done. Just have to reuse as many parts as possible at first.

Be aware that hooking the switches up to an OEM case might not be possible. Some of them use proprietary block plugs.

By the way, the Fry's ad this week has an e8400 and a Gigabyte motherboard for $199.99, if you have one near you.

Are you planning on upgrading the rest of the computer pretty soon? Because 1GB of ram and more so the nvidia 6200 isn't really going to cut it in newer games. Also do you know if the power supply and ram you have will work with the new parts? I would guess the psu will work (though not be good if you get any higher end graphics card) but the ram might be to slow for a e8400 to run at full speed.

Unless you plan to ugrade the rest of the computer very soon I would go with a cheaper cpu and get some and ram and video card (assuming the psu is good). Something like this

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops $70 (could be overclocked pretty high)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards $80
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory $23
Newegg.com - Apollo AP-HD4670 256MB Radeon HD 4670 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $65 - $15mir

Total is about $238 + ~$10(for shipping) - $15 in mail in rebate, so after shipping and the rebate you would be close to your budget.

If you can spare a little more money you could get a 4830 or 4770.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom