Building PC: PowerSupply? core i7 & coolermaster690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juv3nile

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm actually building a computer for a school project, to be specific senior project!! Anyhow any detailed or specific information would be great along with your name so I can use your answers/info in my research paper to quote you if thats ok. If not just let me know.

Here my situation, right now I'm planning on building a PC
with a new core i7 920. I'm pretty confident that the Coolmaster690 case is my best option in terms of which case to buy and keeping the CPU cool. But my questions are....I see multiple versions of the Coolmaster690 such as RC, CM, and combo options, etc. should I buy a case with or without a power supply? If so which one any why? If I should not buy a combo version with a power supply in it, which power supply will work best for me and that case?

I plan on having 2 HDs, 1-2cdroms, a vid card, core i7, DDR3 memory. I believe thats all though.

I'd like to try and save some money rather than blowing unlimited amounts if possible. This is obviously the first time I've built a computer and I'm just trying to insure myself with not only accurate info, but not buying into computer parts I only plan to replace a few months down the road. All info is appriciated and I will greatly use this info from this thread in my project if your ok with me using your name or username!! thanks!!!!

Generally the power supplies that come with cases are crap. I would suggest buying them separate.

well the one that comes with the case is a coolermaster realpower pro which seems decent. But again im not going for the top of the line power supply since it doesn't seem to mean the most in building a pc but what might you suggest?

Well its hard to say specifically since I don't know what you plan on buying thus how much power you will be drawing. But right now the PC Power & Cooling power supplies are really cheap on newegg and they make a great product. The 610w is $60 and the 750w is $80. Corsair and Antec also make some pretty good PSU.

Also, a lot of people try and cut corners on the power supply and that is a bad idea. Get something that is good quality otherwise it might end up frying your system.

ok sounds great man, I will look more into it. I appreciate the info I will prob go with the bigger one just in case I don't have enough power in the long run. if anyone else has info feel free to add in. thanks

LOL, Steal that project, and say it fryed. I would get a Corsair 750TX. You should look into a Cooler Master Cosmos S 1100, it's like the best case for cooling, and is VERRY easy to use.

Don't buy a case with a PSU included... Manufacturers tend to cut corners by including cheap PSUs instead of more reliable ones in an effort to justify higher price points (yes, there are many that dont, but many do too).

The Corsair TX-750 is only $70 after MIR (same price as the 650W model, so why not go big?!)... its got great efficiency and a single 12V rail with 60A, so you wont have problems with a lack of current to any components (in particular the GPU), not that you're likely to unless you put a huge GPU on a weak PSU.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

also, what kind of RAM are you getting? I'd recommend these -> Newegg.com - G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Those have sweet stock timings of 8-8-8-21, which helps out the bandwidth alot (if the onboard memory controller doesn't do enough already). Also, they fall within the "voltage limit" for Core i7 chips. This voltage limit is actually a voltage differential issue. As long as the MCH and DRAM voltages are within 0.5V of each other there will be no problems. Because of the design of the memory controller, outside of this differential limit, issues begin to arise whereby the MCH voltage may oscillate radically, which can result in a damaged or even destroyed CPU.

Have you got any idea what mobo you'll be using? And do you plan on OCing this thing?

EDIT: oh yeah... if you wanna use any info i've whacked up on this site, go for it

Hey guys thanks a ton for the info. I actually ordered the Corsair TX-750 and coolermaster690 late last night. I'm slowly buying the parts in bits and pieces as I learn what works best with what. Next up is obviously the processor, motherboard, and cpu.

In reference to your question about what motherboard I plan on buying, I'm hoping to get Asus P6T but I have yet to really research on any other boards compatible with the core i7. But at first glance that board looked great.

Right now I'm more concerned about everything working together and not accidentally buying a wrong part not compatible with something else.

again thanks a ton guys, I think I made the right choice to get the TX750 and coolermaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom