Building PC for first time, confirmation? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Building PC for first time, confirmation?

Hey there,

So I've been tossing back and forth for the past week just buying a computer or building one. I finally aligned costs and realize that by building one that I want I only spend $979.07 as opposed to $1500.

I'm just a little scared to press the buy button without checking to see if these parts really seem like they are compatible and good. I did my best to make sure all the socket types lined up (Heatsink+CPU+Motherboard) and that the pins were correct in my DDR3.

I just would love confirmation and suggestions! I was planning on going ahead with this building tomorrow or Sunday if no one dissented.

Thanks so much!

XCLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX SLI Micro Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
(I might change this. I really feel like 500gb would be more than enough since I've had a computer for 4 years that is only 250gb and I've never gotten close to filling it...)

I already have a Nvidia GeForce 9600GTX in my current that I'm going to keep and I might upgrade it later... and then I'm also going to use the current CD/DVD drives in my computer instead of buying new ones. I'll probably get a Blue-Ray later, but I'm going to wait for a price drop.

I have Thermal Paste ready for installation of the HeatSink and I think that's ... all I need?

I've read a lot of guides, so I feel like I'm ready, just still a little unsure, heh. I've never built a computer before so I'm terrified ... xD
So any recommendations on what might be cheaper but still a good value or.. any of that would be mega-helpful.

I do want the Mobo and Processor though. They are my dream babies <3!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Building PC for first time, confirmation?

That seems like a pretty reasonable build. All experienced builders have their brand and model preferences but I don't see that you've selected any total rubbish. Good work! hah. you won't need an aftermarket cpu cooler or thermal paste unless you're planning on a pretty significant overclock. That's also an upgrade you can make at any point.

Are you planning on playing many games? The 9600gtx is plenty for most games and apps, but if you want to play the newest first person shooters and other really graphic intensive games, you might be disappointed by the settings. For everything else that card would be great.

Although your selection is decent, I might recommend a power supply from Corsair/Seasonic or forton for increased reliability. Enermax would also be an improvement in my opinion. Keep in mind all brands tend to have a relative low and high end, so you have to be careful, and don't be afraid to google some reviews.

Edited...meant corsair not ocz psu.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Take a look at his ram. Faster and cheaper after MIR. - OCZ Gold 6GB &#40;3 x 2GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 &#40;PC3 12800&#41; Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Power supplies to consider:

If you need modular: - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

If not: - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V &#47; EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

I would stay away from the zahlman and look at something like this: - XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

mb and cpu are great choices.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 09-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks guys! ^__^ I opted out of the heatsink since the Intel came with one and I wanted to see how it ran for awhile before I opted to get a different/new one.

Since I wont be doing any "high performance" gaming past L4D (doesn't count, lol..) and WoW, I'm not terribly worried, but I do do a lot of graphic/video editing so at some point I will upgrade. Just need to save some mon mons.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The stock heatsink comes with thermal paste pre-applied so you won't need the stuff you were going to use. If you have some Arctic Silver 5 and your thinking about using it don't. The paste on the heatsink is just as good. If you just want to replace the paste then I'll suggest using Tuniq TX-2, it's vastly superior to Arctic Silver 5. - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease
Old 09-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I was nervous on my first pc build as well. If you've read guides I'm sure you will do fine. That's what I did and now I think I could put a pc together in my sleep
As far as parts I think you made some pretty good selections but I would recommend taking a look at the PSUs that Hefemeister suggested. Corsair has excellent PSUs.
Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

I bought that same case, it's not bad at all though I wish I went with a HAF 932 because of cable management, cooling and some other features. Not that much of a problem though because the Xclio has plenty of room inside. The 200mm fans are alright... I also put in a 120mm exhaust fan at the back for better air flow.

Closed Thread