Building PC for first time, confirmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikachewie

Beta member
Hey there,

So I've been tossing back and forth for the past week just buying a computer or building one. I finally aligned costs and realize that by building one that I want I only spend $979.07 as opposed to $1500.

I'm just a little scared to press the buy button without checking to see if these parts really seem like they are compatible and good. I did my best to make sure all the socket types lined up (Heatsink+CPU+Motherboard) and that the pins were correct in my DDR3.

I just would love confirmation and suggestions! I was planning on going ahead with this building tomorrow or Sunday if no one dissented.

Thanks so much!

Case
XCLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Heatsink
ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Mobo
EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX SLI Micro Intel Motherboard

Ram
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Power-Supply
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified

HD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
(I might change this. I really feel like 500gb would be more than enough since I've had a computer for 4 years that is only 250gb and I've never gotten close to filling it...)

I already have a Nvidia GeForce 9600GTX in my current that I'm going to keep and I might upgrade it later... and then I'm also going to use the current CD/DVD drives in my computer instead of buying new ones. I'll probably get a Blue-Ray later, but I'm going to wait for a price drop.

I have Thermal Paste ready for installation of the HeatSink and I think that's ... all I need?

I've read a lot of guides, so I feel like I'm ready, just still a little unsure, heh. I've never built a computer before so I'm terrified ... xD
So any recommendations on what might be cheaper but still a good value or.. any of that would be mega-helpful.

I do want the Mobo and Processor though. They are my dream babies <3!

Hey,

That seems like a pretty reasonable build. All experienced builders have their brand and model preferences but I don't see that you've selected any total rubbish. Good work! hah. you won't need an aftermarket cpu cooler or thermal paste unless you're planning on a pretty significant overclock. That's also an upgrade you can make at any point.

Are you planning on playing many games? The 9600gtx is plenty for most games and apps, but if you want to play the newest first person shooters and other really graphic intensive games, you might be disappointed by the settings. For everything else that card would be great.

Although your selection is decent, I might recommend a power supply from Corsair/Seasonic or forton for increased reliability. Enermax would also be an improvement in my opinion. Keep in mind all brands tend to have a relative low and high end, so you have to be careful, and don't be afraid to google some reviews.

Edited...meant corsair not ocz psu.

Thanks guys! ^__^ I opted out of the heatsink since the Intel came with one and I wanted to see how it ran for awhile before I opted to get a different/new one.

Since I wont be doing any "high performance" gaming past L4D (doesn't count, lol..) and WoW, I'm not terribly worried, but I do do a lot of graphic/video editing so at some point I will upgrade. Just need to save some mon mons.

I was nervous on my first pc build as well. If you've read guides I'm sure you will do fine. That's what I did and now I think I could put a pc together in my sleep :)
As far as parts I think you made some pretty good selections but I would recommend taking a look at the PSUs that Hefemeister suggested. Corsair has excellent PSUs.
Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes!

I bought that same case, it's not bad at all though I wish I went with a HAF 932 because of cable management, cooling and some other features. Not that much of a problem though because the Xclio has plenty of room inside. The 200mm fans are alright... I also put in a 120mm exhaust fan at the back for better air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom