Building a new system, looking for some opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

switchbladecros

Beta member
Hello everyone, I am new the the forums, but not new the the field.

So, let me dive right into the situation. I am building myself a new gaming rig. Let me give you all a rundown before I countinue:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Diamond Plus
CPU: AMD Opteron 170
RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB)
GPU: eVGA Geforce 7900GT (future SLI)
PSU: Rosewill RP550S-2MR 550W
Optical: AOpen 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
obvioulsy you can check out the links for further specs.

Now, I am sure you may have noticed that I left a little something out, HDD. Well, thats actually the whole point of the thread. I am looking at spending around $100, less is good, with an absolute maximum of $125. SATA 3.0Gb/s is a requirement, and a 16MB cache is ideal, but not having it isint a necessary deal-breaker.

Here's where the choices come in. I can purchase a single, large capacity drive and create seprate "Windows", "Programs" and "Data" partitions. I can pruchace two, smaller capactiy drvies utilizing one of the following situations. Run the two in RAID0 with the previously mentioned partitioning scheme, or run them in JBOD with one drve containing the "Windows" and "Programs" partitions, and the second disk used for data.

I am torn, so I would like to get some opinions from all of you.
Thanks!

Yes, I have looked over this drive. I was considering it, it is the best deal GB/per$, but I will not be able to reap the benifits of a dedicated drive for the OS, or a RAID0 setup.

i'd switch the motherboard to MSI K8n neo4-f, and with that get an Antec TruePower 550Watt PSU. everything else is fine. GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom