Building new rig

SiZcO

In Runtime
I currently have a decent computer but wife likes to stream movies on it in the living room and it just makes its hard to came or do what i want.. so just thinking about building another to put in another room... but its been AWHILE sense ive built one and not sure whats currently outdated or not.. But i'm needing a full setup my budget be around 700-800 bucks and im an AMD fanboy :( what would you guys suggest

Last edited:
if your media is on the network or you use hulu, etc...

Add SSD, ram and and HDMI cable to your TV and you have yourself and media box.
Newegg.com - Intel NUC D34010WYKH 2 x 204Pin Intel HD Graphics 4400 Integrated by CPU Mini / Booksize Barebone System

Edit: and A wireless keyboard with touchpad would also make things easier.
Logitech K400 (920-003070) Black USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard - Newegg.com

Im already doing that with my current setup in the living room.. this new rig will just be for gaming and my personal use.

but then agian you have a good point.. i could keep my current setup and just build a media center tower.. whats the cheapest i could build one you think?

Without building one for 300 would this be a good set up for a Media server ONLY

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/inspiron-3000-series-desktop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/2999138.p?id=1219085625387&skuId=2999138&st=categoryid$pcmcat212600050008&cp=1&lp=2#tab=overview

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for media streaming, yes, I think that would be just fine. But I would still get a wireless KB with touchpad, to keep you and your family from getting up everytime you want to pause a show, or change something.

BUT they do make this nice little app that I am trying called unified remote that is pretty handy so far, but does have some limitations. (for my purposes)

Unified Remote

I use an old Optiplex 345 that I liberated from an old job for our HTPC in the living room. I just added a USB wifi adapter, and a wireless keyboard & mouse. It doesn't take much to stream and use Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom