Building a new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilveari

Baseband Member
I'm on a bit of a budget this time. I'm thinking about going with an E2160, and OC it. I don't do any video editing or anything, and I don't play Crysis. If I game, it will probably be Bioshock, World in Conflict, Gunbound, albatros 18, WoW, or Quake Wars. So OCing this baby should work well enough.

Has anyone worked with this chip alot? I'm trying to find the best mobo/cooler combo for it.

I'll probably toss in a couple mid-range G8 series cards in SLi. $70-100 cards. Along with 4GB mid-range performance RAM from Corsair or Kingston or something.

Looking to spend under $1000 for all hardware including shipping.

EDIT: I should note that the reason im building a new one is that the one in my sig is screwing up and I cant figure out why. I get horrible slowdowns. If im using ANY bandwidth(upstream or downstream), or opening a program, or unzipping a file.

Like when i'm listening to music, if I start downloading something, or unzipping a rar file, then the sound slows down so badly that it gets garbled. The rig even locks up on weak games like Gunbound.

Case - Your choice...
Processor - Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard - ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI
Memory - 2 x 1GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2-800
Graphics cards - 2x Foxconn 9600GT 512MB in SLI
Power supply - Corsair 550VX
Hard drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
Optical drive - Samsung 20X SATA DVD Burner
HSF - Xigmatek HDT-S1283
TIM - Arctic Cooling MX-2

Comes to around $900 including shipping.

What monitor size/resolution, will you be playing games at, because if it's not much, there is no need to SLI. You can just get one powerful card. And in that case, I would suggest this board instead:
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
...because the P35 chipsets are better overclockers.

Your current system is pretty good actually. You just need to upgrade the video card. If you want to save money, just figure out what's wrong with it. Give it a reformat. That should clear things up.

The issues with my current system just bother me, makes me think it might be hardware. But swapping video cards, ram sticks, etc, etc I haven't found anything yet. Im hoping it's not mobo/CPU related

Why don't you give it a fresh start, with a reformat?

If you do get a new system, what are you going to do with your current? I would probably suggest, sticking with the E6600, because it's more powerful than the E2160. And also stick with the case, RAM, HD, and PSU. Then just upgrade the motherboard and graphics.

Forgot to add, I won't be getting it immediately, but I plan on picking up a decent 21" DFP in the near future after i either fix my current rig, or build this new one.

Case - Your choice...
Processor - Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard - ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI
Memory - 2 x 1GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2-800
Graphics cards - 2x Foxconn 9600GT 512MB in SLI
Power supply - Corsair 550VX
Hard drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
Optical drive - Samsung 20X SATA DVD Burner
HSF - Xigmatek HDT-S1283
TIM - Arctic Cooling MX-2

Comes to around $900 including shipping.

What monitor size/resolution, will you be playing games at, because if it's not much, there is no need to SLI. You can just get one powerful card. And in that case, I would suggest this board instead:
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
...because the P35 chipsets are better overclockers.

Your current system is pretty good actually. You just need to upgrade the video card. If you want to save money, just figure out what's wrong with it. Give it a reformat. That should clear things up.

That board you just suggested for him... what advantages does

this board Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

have over that board?

13-136-045-05.jpg

x38^

13-136-043-05.jpg

^p35

They look kind of similar lol. But cool, the x38 is a better OC'r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom