Building a new, quiet PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best fan is probably the new noctua nf-p12

It's specifically designed to create higher air pressure to force it through fins in radiators and heatsinks...and is also designed to be very quiet.

use rivatuner and keep your gpu fan speed at 60% so you dont hear sudden banshees when you are sleeping

How do you overclock with rivatune ?? i can't figure it out, well actually i thought i did i right clicked and configured the memory to 900 and core clock to 600... but it didnt seem to do anything to temps and my 3d Mark went from 7477 to 6411... so i don't think it worked :eek:

i strongly suggest getting a 7200.11 over that samsung, double the cache and double the warranty plus a year

i second and third this notion. but i'm biased towards seagate lol ah well.

if you're gonna spend money on 4 gigs of ram get the 64 bit os. otherwise you're wasting money. plain and simple ^^

vaanish's PSU suggestion is good too. or corsair 520hx if its in the budget.

if you're using windows XP kman just get ATI tool, itd be much easier and yiou can stresstest the card in the same program. its not vista compatible. as for rivatuner just slide the bars. I can't say how to do it well cause last time I tried just crashed the pc lol.

If you guys kept up to date on the latest drives, you'd know that the Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives are currently:

-The fastest
-The most reliable
-Extremely Quiet (Seagates aren't)

The only downside is the 2 year warranty, when Seagate offers 5. Don't get me wrong, I have had nothing but Seagates in my puter until I bought my Hitachi Deskstar (1 million times quieter than my 7200.10). It's just that Seagate USED to be at the top but now Samsung is way ahead of all the competition. Their new platters are a technological marvel.

seagates arent quiet? I cant hear mine with the case open and my head beside it ;p
as far as reliability i havent had 1 hd issue in many years all with seagate.
they could be faster than the 7200.11's i dunno havent looked for benchies. but noise is definitely not an issue. superman couldn't hear this thing working.

How many hard drives have you had to compare it to? I've had 11 seagate drives in total, and none were obnoxiously loud, but they certainly weren't silent.

I never really knew the difference until I tried my Hitachi Deskstar, it's virtually silent.

As for the 7200.11 being fast, there are many cases where the 7200.10 outperforms it...don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome drive...but it's nothing amazing and if what he wants is speed and silence I don't think I'd recommend a seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom