Building a New PC -> Buying Parts/Hardware Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMyster

Baseband Member
I recently decided that I was going to build a new computer. I'm from N.S Canada, so it was hard, but I ended up finding a great site to order parts/hardware from.

I mainly intend to use my pc for video/picture editing, gaming, and general multi-tasking. Keep in mind I only have a $800-$950 USD budget here.

Also, I am hoping that this computer will last me at least 2-3 years. Like, with minimum hardware upgrades. I know computers are constantly changing, but I mean I am hoping to buy good enough parts that in a year or two it will still be able to handle all my mediocre gaming needs, and video/photo editing needs as well as multi-tasking, watching video's, music etc.

Here is a list of the hardware I intend to buy. I'm just looking for some input on the parts and to some questions.

The parts are included here (from greenlyph.com) :

Also, note that I plan to get around 1.5gb -2.5gb of high end ddr2 667mhz ram.

Okay so now for a few questions.

Does everything look alright? I mean, am I getting the best items I can for my price range? Should I spend an extra $50 and buy a better processor? Is there anything here I absolutly don't need? What else do I need to buy besides a psu/cooling/case?

How does the video card I intend to buy look? Good price?

How is my mobo? The selection of hardware on greenlymp sucks, but since its the only store that accepts paypal, has cheap shipping/products I think its my only choice.

If you know any other Canadian sites that accept paypal and the shipping is cheap, and they take paypal, let me know.

And I don't yet have a case or power supply. Any tips/advice on buying a power supply/case welcome.

Also, I heard that buying a computer case with a psu already in it is bad and can potentially fry your system. Am I better off buying my own case + PSU?

What should I look for when buying a psu/case? I am trying to keep my budget low as possible but I heard a $40 case is crap, so Im thinking about getting a $60-$70~ one.

What price range should an average 450w psu come in?

The only other thing I'd like to comment on, is the lack of Canadian pc part stores that have low shipping/tax costs and accept paypal. As I said before, I live in N.S Canada, so the shipping costs are usually huge. Greenlymp doesn't have as much variety as I would've liked, but since its in my province, its one of my only choices.

Any other comments welcome on anything related here.

Thanks.

really? I thought AMD processors were more for gaming and what I would use it for.....

How much does the e6300 cost anyway?

actually, I would get the e6400 if you want to be current - the AMD used to be the best for gaming (they were better than the Pentium 4s), but then Intel came out with the Core 2 Duos and now through performance tests, the e6300 and up are blowing the AMD out of the water. I would go with the e6400 though.

Your prices are ok. A little higher than say, newegg - but still in a reasonable range. And as for cases, don't go by price alone. Look for a case with good airflow (ones with 120mm fans installed are nice). And yes, get a seperate PSU. 450W should be fine for your system (even if you go with the Intel). I'm not sure what it would cost you through that site but I know when I looked recently the better quality ones were 50-75.

Okay, I checked it out....and for around the same price I can get the e6300 core 2 duo or an AMD Athlon 64x2 AM2 4600+ CPU.

How can the e6300 core 2 duo 1.8ghz be better? I read that thread at the top explaining intel/amd processors. But i mean, wouldn't the AMD processor be better since it is dual core as well as 2.4ghz?

I have decided to buy from another site. Greenlymph charges too much for shipping even though its only 5 hours away from where I live.

I am ordering from directcanada.com this week sometime.

This is a great case for the price http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC4441&vpn=CAC-T05-UW&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

And the core 2 duo would be better. The clock speed isn't everything. For example, the AMD has only 1MB L2 cache compared to the e6300/6400's 2MB. I don't know if you're going to be overlcoking or not, but an overclocked AMD X2 won't even come close to an overclocked C2D at the comparable price points. The C2D will even breeze past many more expensive AMDs. If you're not overclocking, the C2D will still have better performance in the same price ranges, just not by as much.

i got a monitor question for u guys to answer, since i dont want to waste making a new thread.

I'm deciding between these 2 LCD monitors, one includes a DVI cable n is 5ms, the other doesnt come with a DVI n is 2ms n costs like bit more, but likely ill buy a DVI cable seperate which would cost me more money.

here they r n give me ur opinions on which monitor i should go with:

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824254005

Niko NIKO-1920W Black 19" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824232007

Link Depot DVI-D male to DVI-D male dual link Cable, 3FT, Black Model DVI-3-DD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812189046

the main reason im deciding between this 19" 2ms LCD monitor is because of it being 2ms n not 5ms which can supposely be better for gaming, am i right?

Oh also, if this isn't a purchase that you HAVE to make right now, I would wait until Q2.. they are upgrading the e6300 and e6400 to have 4M in the L2 cache and they aren't raising prices when they do it. Plus since RAM prices are on their way back down at the moment, you might get a better deal that way as well.

lookin4help said:
Check out this article, as well as some of the others on the same site about the e6300/e6400 vs amd (nice little performance charts) and you will see what I am talking about.
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2903

Ok, Im convinced...core 2 duo will be a better buy then amd 62x2.

One thing I am unsure on though is this. Take a look here: http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2903&p=3

Ok how can the C2D e4300 outmax the e6300 or e6400 when overlocked? Why did they just show that sole CPU overclocked? Does it have better overclockable abilities than the others (e6300/e6400)? And would overclocking your e4300 cpu by that much really damage it in the long run? ...I mean just overclocking for gaming and/or high toll video/photo editing software like photoshop CS2 etc. I wouldn't assume that they kept that cpu overclocked all the time. Why didn't they overclock the e6300 though? Wouldn't that be better overclocked than the e4300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom